Bike Eye, worth having - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
The above is the mirror gizmo that fits at the join of the down tube and top tube and apparently, you can see directly behind you ( provided of course that there's no pannier in the way - ! ) Mixed reviews on t'net, but before I maybe get one, does anyone have/use/d one to give a real vie on them please - ?

The above is the mirror gizmo that fits at the join of the down tube and top tube and apparently, you can see directly behind you ( provided of course that there's no pannier in the way - ! ) Mixed reviews on t'net, but before I maybe get one, does anyone have/use/d one to give a real vie on them please - ?

No not had one. But these extra safety gadgets always seem to get hammered on here.

At a much great cost I have Garmin Varia radar - which I really like and would recommend.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, I've got one on my Specialized gravel bike. Works quite well but you have to swing your leg out a bit to get a uninterrupted view. I guess it's advantage is it doesn't stick out too far. I'd give it 7/10 :okay:
It also fits into the bend quite well on drop bars if you can't get on with it on the frame.

Sharky

Guru
I rode with a h/bar mirror for a while, following a broken collarbone when turning my head was difficult. The mirror is useful to let you know when it is NOT safe to move out, but not reliable enough to tell when it Is safe. You still need to turn your head backward when moving out or turning right.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Mirrors are a bit of a Marmite thing, aren't they! I have to confess that in this case, I love Marmite.

Any mirror which stays put and doesn't vibrate out of position is good in my book and these get good reviews. However there are so many variables that in the end you have to take the plunge and try for yourself. It wouldn't work for me because I definitely don't travel light and there would always be some sort of bag in the way but if you do, it is pretty minimalist and it is in a good position because it's unlikely to get knocked and it's pretty aero.

My preference for years has been some variety of Mirrycle ever since I had an original type one on my non aero bars in the '80s. They generally stay put, you can fold them in if necessary for tight cycle parking or travel on a train and they are quite tough if knocked. They are available for Shimano brake hoods but AFAIK not other makes which is limiting. Also available for flat bars which makes them suitable for recumbents.

Perhaps I have become mirror-dependent but I feel uncomfortable without one now.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I hate extra gubbins on bikes. Ears and turn your head works best, and my back isn't the most flexible these days.
Me too.
Tried a mirror. Bar end type. After a while I found myself not using it so got rid. Mirrors are not for me.
However, I do know a couple of people who swear by them.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I started using a mirror following an extra-bad neck crick. After that I've used them since- many years now. I like them.

Never used a Bike Eye though, I've used Cateye BM-300s mostly and also the smaller BM-45.

I find mine invaluable. I don't use it for major manoeuvres, such as right turns, but I do use if for constant awareness of what's behind. In busy traffic, it possibly adds little value as the answer to "Is there a car just behind me?" will always be "Yes". On rural roads, with not much traffic, it's extremely useful to know whether or not there's anything approaching from behind and it works perfectly for this. Again, it's the constant awareness thing. If you drive a car and choose not to look in the mirrors every few (single digit) seconds as a matter of course then don't bother with a mirror on a bike as it's this role which they fill.

For me, provided my mirror side leg is 'up' the view is very good, if narrow, with the Bike Eye. In practice that means that the view is fine when pedalling in the same way as you can see through rotating wheels, etc.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I got one. Useless. It has now been adapted for handlebar use.
I agree . I fitted one to my commuting bike , fixed wheel with a large Carradice / Bagman rack combo on the back .The mirror gave me a great view of my constantly moving knees and the underside of my saddle bag .

Tenkaykev

Guru
I started using a mirror following an extra-bad neck crick. After that I've used them since- many years now. I like them.

Never used a Bike Eye though, I've used Cateye BM-300s mostly and also the smaller BM-45.
Mrs Tenkaykev and I have the BM-45 on our Brommies. They're very good, easy enough to fine tune the rear view but firm enough not to need constant readjustment. They also quite compact and don't affect the fold.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mrs Tenkaykev and I have the BM-45 on our Brommies. They're very good, easy enough to fine tune the rear view but firm enough not to need constant readjustment. They also quite compact and don't affect the fold.

I used one for quite some time. I really liked the size of it and how stable and adjustable it was. A while ago I knocked the ball-joint thing out of the bar-end plug and I could never get it back in again! in the end I lost part of it, I'll probably find it at the back of the shed one day.

Top Bottom