Bike Feed Stations - Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottypows

What would be on your ultimate bike event feed station? Covid proofed so everything has to be individually packed etc.....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Coffee and cake(s), dates, cashews, and flapjack for the road. Flan or pasta salad for lunch. Ice cream late afternoon. I'm probably not typical, as bananas and sugary shoot seem popular at feed stations!

Individual wrapping doesn't seem like covid-proofing to me. It seems like the important thing would be to dispense food to each person, rather than them dipping their snotty mitts into boxes or packets of food, wrapped or not.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My memory of feed stations from various charity distance events is just flapjacks, a sea of flapjacks. It seems like it was the ever present. That and bananas.

I was mostly only stopping for the fluids (because I hoover up liquid and I find it hard to eat). I've really valued the free energy sachets, High5 I think was popular.

If I had a choice and it had to be individually packaged it'd be something unctuous and delicious, Clif bars probably. White choc and macadamia preferably. :hungry:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Guinness. Salted peanuts. Galaxy chocolate.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I did the first Tour de Yorkshire sportive (which cost me around £50) and all there was when I got to the first feed station was...

... small boiled potatoes and a tub of salt to dip them in! :thumbsdown:
Yep, I did the TdY that year and the organisation was awful, probably the worst I've encountered. The feed stops were nothing but bowls of jelly beans and jelly babies.

Great route though. Enjoyed the crowds.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sausage rolls.

I made my annual-ish visit to sportive-land last weekend, when I did the Hell of the Ashdown. And yes, they had lots and lots of sausage rolls at the feed stations. They were excellent, even the vegan ones I picked up by mistake were good. At the second one they had pizza on offer but I really didn't fancy pizza at the time. So I had some extra sausage rolls.

Other things I've enjoyed at feed stations/audax controls have been: Pasta (I remember giant containers of pasta in sauce at a control on the Ditchling Devil audax one year, similar on the Kingdom of the East Saxons) Salted peanuts, flapjacks (there are always flapjacks), cake, doughnuts.

And ice cream. This isn't something I've been offered on an organised ride but I do like to pull over on long hot rides and have some ice cream.

Bananas are often present. Meh.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
One sportive I did had the usual suspects at every feed station - bananas, gels, flapjacks, whatever the sponsor provided - but allowed the staff manning them the freedom to add their own touches. At the first you passed, which was quite early in the morning, someone had gotten hold of a mass delivery of pain au chocolats which were gratefully received, at a later one there were mini sausage rolls, and towards the end there was one with packets of crisps (many different flavours too) on offer. There apparently were also cakes at one I didn't stop at, but it meant that there was always that bit of variety so you weren't getting the same tastes all the time, plus a balance of sweet and savoury, which I liked.

Top Bottom