Bike Feed Stations - Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If the OP is planning to organise one, think also about packaging and litter. With the best will in the world, and even if your riders are all conscientious angels, you'll still get some accidental littering in the area. In the real world you are likely to get a lot of littering. Plan to have clear-up squads afterwards.

I don't know what the Covid rules are but I'd have thought that unpackaged things, served with tongs, protected from the public by a "sneeze bar" type panel would be OK. And less packaging = less litter.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My worst feed station encounter was this one...

I was riding the Pendle Pedal once and a bored official was closing a feed station over 30 minutes before the cut-off time and cutting down the direction signs ...

I had to argue with him to be allowed the food and drink that I had paid for with my entry fee. When I pointed out that there was still 30 minutes to go before the cut-off time he shrugged and said something like "You could try getting fit enough to get here quicker mate. I have better things to do than hang around all afternoon waiting for people like you to turn up!" :eek: :cursing:

I complained to the organiser at the finish.

raymondo60

A life behind bars
Hot drinks, especially winter events. Nothing like a steaming cuppa tea/coffee to invigorate. And proper sandwiches, which I've seen once or twice. Prefer a 'savoury' rather than 'sweet' snack if possible. We're all different I guess.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was on a solo ride one year when a sportive Marshall waved me down saying control was in the hall. I was about to say to him that I wasn't on the ride when he piped up with 'sportive rules say I should be wearing a helmet' :rolleyes:.
Good thing I'm not doing your sportive then isn't it I said.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was on a solo ride one year when a sportive Marshall waved me down saying control was in the hall. I was about to say to him that I wasn't on the ride when he piped up with 'sportive rules say I should be wearing a helmet' :rolleyes:.
Good thing I'm not doing your sportive then isn't it I said.
I think I've had food from sportive feed stations when not doing the ride three times. Twice with their permission as they were overstocked with most riders gone and once because a friend doing the event shared theirs :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hot drinks, especially winter events. Nothing like a steaming cuppa tea/coffee to invigorate. And proper sandwiches, which I've seen once or twice. Prefer a 'savoury' rather than 'sweet' snack if possible. We're all different I guess.
about 75 miles into a big club ride we stopped at a cafe as our planned stop and i had a cheese and pickle sarnie which really hit the spot at the time

johnblack

Über Member
MTB epics feed stations are always good, usual stash of sweet stuff but also they always have sausage rolls, peanut butter sandwiches and plenty of other salty goodness. I never really crave sweet stuff on a ride, it’s always savoury for me.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Not food related, but on a ride a couple of years ago, I turned onto a club time trial circuit, not knowing it was on. It was on my normal route home and the road I joined it at was not signed, not that it would have mattered anyway as it would have meant a 10+ mile detour to avoid it. I did get some grumbling riders because they had to go around me but I wasn't aware they owned that part of the road. 😠

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Okay, getting it back on track, not one I've done personally, but Fat Lad at the Back feed stations are supposed to be legendary. As you can imagine by the name, no calorie controlled nonsense, but sausage rolls. pork pies and the like. Saw some pics once, it looked like a proper feast, must try one some time.

Lookrider

Anything in the GLUTEN FREE range kept aside for people with coeliac disease and not munched away by riders thinking it make them go 2 minutes faster ( over a year )just because an elite athlete eats GF

Did a great sportive in aid of a school once. First stop was a community centre doing brand on toast. At the finish everyone got pasta in the school cafeteria. Really nice too.

Top Bottom