Bike Fit Confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Hey all,

Been back cycling for the last 3 months or so but can't find a comfortable position on my bike. Looking on You Tube helps but you also get conflicting advice so thought I'd clarify a few things with you guys if its ok. So here goes.
Firstly I've got a saddle that doesn't give me sore bum bones.
Next I've got my cleats setup fine and know my foot angle when cycling.
When standing over my frame I have 1-2inch gap - the frame has a slightly sloping TT. I've also got a couple of stems and seat posts to try.

First setup saddle height. Sit on saddle, some say crank arm at the bottom of the stroke and some say inline with seat tube? When cleated into the pedal what angle should my leg be? Some say 30-35 degrees some say a slight bend?

Saddle postion. Seat saddle level then when sitting on the saddle with cranks at horizontal position, your knee should be vertically alined with the pedal axle. But which part of the knee, some say the knee cap and others say the lump just below the knee cap?

Handlebars. You should not be able to see the axle of your front wheel when holding the bars but some say when on the hoods and some say the tops? Another measurement is put your elbow on you saddle tip and your longest finger should a) just touch the handlebars, b)should reach the centre of the handlebar or c) it should measure your elbow to longest finger plus 2inches!

I know that this should just be a starting position but with so much conflicting info how am I supposed to get it right other than try all the combinations :biggrin:
I had a 35 mile ride today and had no sore bum bones but was very sore in the soft tissue just outside my bum bones. Seems very like a muscular pain and not saddle sore as there is no rash or redness. Trying to walk or climb stairs has been pretty painful :biggrin:. When out on the ride I felt that my position was a bit too upright and it helped when I was on the drops so I stopped and dropped my handlebar height (they were virtually level with my saddle) and it helped but I had already ridden for some time in pain so the damage had been done. Didn't stop me doing my biggest hill to date though, Falkland Hill in Fife, 4.5Km and 250m climb a lot of which is steep :angry:

Sorry for the MEGA-POST but really hope you can help

TIA

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome!

OK. Get the saddle position correct first, then sort the reach to the bars. This fellow explains things pretty well, in fact better than anyone I reckon.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

The other thing to remember is that very few of us got our best position sorted over a long period of experimentation and fine tuning. Often a few mm makes a big difference.
Take a look at the aticle and see if it works.
If you're still struggling, go to a bke shop that offers a 'fitting' session, a basic service would cost around £40 approx. It could be money well spent.
It's also possible the bike is just not the right size for you... or you're weird :biggrin:

Top Bottom