Bike fit / stem length / etc

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Justin, 15 Jun 2008.

1. Justin

Justin New Member

Hi all,

New member and first post.

I returned to cycling two years ago (after almost 20 years) and bought myself a LeMond Reno and have put quite a few miles in since then.

However I think I might have rushed the purchase and got a bike that is slightly too big - there is plenty of adjustment in the seat post so I can find the optimum height for my leg length at 29" (pretty sure the frame is a 53cm or a 55cm). The problem is that I feel a bit stretched and that the steering is a little too responsive to handlebar movements - I don't remember it being like that all those years ago. I am 5'7" and used to ride a 22" when younger.

I was looking for some advice as to how to resolve this, I think I have two major options:

1. Get a different bike / frame that is a better fit (I like the Giant OCR/SCR compact design a lot)
    2. Buy a shorter stem - currently its running a 120mm, would (say) a 60mm be better?

Any advice, further info needed?

Thanks

Justin

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

I would try a 100mm first.

3. dantheman

dantheman Über Member

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but, i thought that a shorter stem would make the steering more responsive???- although at least you wouldnt be over reaching as much...

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Hi

I find this is a useful guide to fitting a bike.
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Basically get your seating right relative to the pedals (as explained) and then get the reach sorted. BTW an 80mm stem will steer OK, I have bikes with 80mm stems. Also bar type makes a difference, I've recently changed to some "Omega-Compact bars ( ~ £25 Parker International) which have slightly shorter top section to the brake hoods and less "drop" than other "anatomic" bars, hence bringing everything a tad closer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice