Bike fit / stem length / etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justin

Hi all,

New member and first post.

I returned to cycling two years ago (after almost 20 years) and bought myself a LeMond Reno and have put quite a few miles in since then.

However I think I might have rushed the purchase and got a bike that is slightly too big - there is plenty of adjustment in the seat post so I can find the optimum height for my leg length at 29" (pretty sure the frame is a 53cm or a 55cm). The problem is that I feel a bit stretched and that the steering is a little too responsive to handlebar movements - I don't remember it being like that all those years ago. I am 5'7" and used to ride a 22" when younger.

I was looking for some advice as to how to resolve this, I think I have two major options:

1. Get a different bike / frame that is a better fit (I like the Giant OCR/SCR compact design a lot)
2. Buy a shorter stem - currently its running a 120mm, would (say) a 60mm be better?

Any advice, further info needed?

Thanks

Justin

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I would try a 100mm first.

im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but, i thought that a shorter stem would make the steering more responsive???- although at least you wouldnt be over reaching as much...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi

I find this is a useful guide to fitting a bike.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Basically get your seating right relative to the pedals (as explained) and then get the reach sorted. BTW an 80mm stem will steer OK, I have bikes with 80mm stems. Also bar type makes a difference, I've recently changed to some "Omega-Compact bars ( ~ £25 Parker International) which have slightly shorter top section to the brake hoods and less "drop" than other "anatomic" bars, hence bringing everything a tad closer.

Top Bottom