Bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad you have excepted this fomula now ,was only a matter of time til common sense prevailed !

unfortunately, acceptance of this method now means I must find a way of fixing my handlebars directly to the steerer tube. On the upside though, this means I will save weight by being able to bin the stem.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I've tried the elbow to seat, fingers to bars measurement theory on all my bikes with differing results. They all feel pretty comfortable to me but then again I have no evidence that they are actually right for me other then the highly respected scientific retul bike fit paperwork.
What's this mean, do I need to change my bike fitment, or my arms? - Do I have an issue I was not aware of and was not detected during my bike fit?

U

User6179

unfortunately, acceptance of this method now means I must find a way of fixing my handlebars directly to the steerer tube. On the upside though, this means I will save weight by being able to bin the stem.

Jubilee clips maybe ?

U

User6179

the 'correct one' - hopefully. Saddle height and setback is the point from which all other measurements must be established. Or you could just stick your forearm on the saddle and go from there....

Is this correct ? Surely bb or from the pedals is where all other measurements come from ?

Is this correct ? Surely bb or from the pedals is where all other measurements come from ?

I was probably not clear enough - what I meant was the saddle height/setback measurements are the starting points from which others are set. The means of establishing your saddle height is another question....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
How about the reaching over, saddle in the armpit, then your index finger should touch the centre line of the bottom bracket axle, method of determining the saddle height? Works for me ........
(useful for setting my saddle height on a gym spinning bike)

How about the reaching over, saddle in the armpit, then your index finger should touch the centre line of the bottom bracket axle, method of determining the saddle height? Works for me ........
(useful for setting my saddle height on a gym spinning bike)

or perhaps a tape measure..?

U

User6179

saddle height/setback is typically measured from the bb centreline, if that's what you meant. The means of establishing your saddle height is another question....

Yep , basically your feet position dictates your seat position then your seat position dictates your hand position (not your forearm length lol ) !

RedRider

Pulling through
I tend to whirl around in a bike shop til dizzy then choose a red one.

If you're getting used to drops for the first time (in a while) you might find your comfortable upper body position stretches out and gets lower over time as your back/torso/mind acclimatises.

youngoldbloke

that's great, until you come across a gym bike with a different crank length....
Its a quick and easy reference for the saddle height in my usual gym. I also use the elbow to finger tip plus a bit method for the saddle position. It works for me, with that particular bike. I would know if the cranks were a different length by the heel on pedal method. Anyway I only use the spinning bikes as just part of a general 1 hour gym session.

youngoldbloke

- but if you have exceptionally short arms you may need to afix your stem facing backwards.

Licramite

Über Member
Googlink riding position for bikes came up with , with your pedals horizontal thier should be a verticle line between your knee and the pedal spindal.
your handle bars should be 2-4" lower than your seat and your arms should be at 45degrees from the handlebar. (on the bar in line with the top of the stem not the bottom of the drops)

I can,t acheive this , my handlebars and seat are at the same level. could be my bike frames not right for me.
or I need to replace my arms and legs with longer ones

since riding with pedal clips, which makes you feel like your riding in high heels, your up on your toes all the time (my calf muscles will get used to it no matter how much it hurtsand my bum keeps falling off the back of the seat - hence all this re-evaluating my riding position after 14years of no problems.

thier probably is something to this measuring with your body , elbow fingertip seat edge stem, armpit finger tip pedals stuff as are boby shape grows in proportion, yes thiers 3 types of body shape and that changes proportions but as a general rule its probably right.

Top Bottom