Bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
shorter stem sounds like a reasonable option. A compact bar might be another option (unless one is already fitted?) as these also tend to have a shorter reach to the hoods and the drops...

D

Deleted member 1258

All of my bikes feel pretty much spot on atm. Don't feel stretched out at all.

Maybe this rule of thumb you go on just so happens to work for you, but many other people not so. Just like many rules of thumb. :smile: It gives a starting point at least and can be cross checked with other quick rules, like the view of the hub rule, which coincidentally applied to me pretty well.

this suddenly came into my head while I was out riding earlier, so I stuck my elbow on the tip of the saddle (probably looked a bit weird while riding) and my fingers just about reached the steerer top cap, which means there was still another 11cm between there and the bars. Clearly this method is not for everyone - maybe it only suits dave r... ;)

It looks that way, maybe it only works for those who have short arms like me, as you say maybe something to combine with other methods and point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
Richard1537

Richard1537

Ok so tried the elbow to the saddle point exercise and it turns out i'm only about 5-10mm away from touching the rear most side of the bars!! So with all this in mind I think I might go ahead and get a 90mm stem!!!

Ok so tried the elbow to the saddle point exercise and it turns out i'm only about 5-10mm away from touching the rear most side of the bars!! So with all this in mind I think I might go ahead and get a 90mm stem!!!

so you've embraced a theory which only appears to suit one person on the entire planet..?

OP
OP
Richard1537

Richard1537

Well not exactly, my axle/bar theory plus the fact I feel a bit stretched so I'll take a go with a stem I think!! :-)

Licramite

Über Member
I must be deformed. - I,m a short arse, 29" inside leg. - my handle bars are supposed to be 2-4" lower than the saddle - can,t be done, with the bars on the stem at its lowest setting its still level with the saddle.

all this adjusting is i,ve just gone over to clipped pedals and its completely changed my riding position.

my handle bars are supposed to be 2-4" lower than the saddle -

there is no 'rule' which says your bars should be any particular height in relation to your saddle.

just tried it on my fast road tourer fingers about half way between stem and handlebar. so seams ok.

Did you not read the other posts on page 1 which concluded that this method of measurement was a complete fallacy for all but one person who thought it was a good idea?

jackhandy

But.... looking at it from the opposite perspective - It suits all but a few members of this forum.

Your sample is far too small to be making sweeping conclusions :becool:

U

User6179

just tried it on my fast road tourer fingers about half way between stem and handlebar. so seams ok.

Tried it on both my road bikes and im about 20 mm shy of handlebars on both so seems to work !

Nice bike,. have the same in 56, before playing with the stem in what horizontal position is the saddle?

the 'correct one' - hopefully. Saddle height and setback is the point from which all other measurements must be established. Or you could just stick your forearm on the saddle and go from there....

U

User6179

the 'correct one' - hopefully. Saddle height and setback is the point from which all other measurements must be established. Or you could just stick your forearm on the saddle and go from there....

Glad you have excepted this fomula now ,was only a matter of time til common sense prevailed !

Top Bottom