Bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm putting this is the café because I don't intend for it to be a 'how to' or contain any kind of recommended advice as I feel everyone's circumstances are unique...

Re bike fitting, I have 5 bikes and each have, understandably, different measurements (except saddle top to pedal axle, they'd be pretty much the same). I guess that's stating the obvious to some degree as they are different bikes for different rides. The 2 'closest' bikes (in terms of purpose / set up) are my racer and my audax bike - but even there the reach on the racer is shorter, it has a smaller frame and the saddle is set further forward in relation to the pedal axle. I'm less less tucked up on the audax bike but both bikes are comfortable for me despite their quite different set ups.... and I've ridden 200km plus rides on each.

So I guess the question is, are there any other factors in set up that ought to be considered other than just the straight forward numbers? Do all the 'numbers' also need to be considered in relation to each other, and the bike/purpose? Obviously, certain purposes require compromise in other areas to provide the best position, e.g. a bike set up for maximizing a sprinter's power output is perhaps not going to be suited to touring.

Are there people that can, within reason, get on anything and have a comfortable ride?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I am like you and have three bikes, A Dawes Galaxy, A dawes Audax and a Condor racing bike. All the bikes are set up differently because of the frame angles, the tourer has more relaxed angles for comfort, an MTB will be even more so, the audax slightly tighter angles for faster but comfortable riding and the racer tight angles for quick responces. I think the question your asking is, Why does each bike set up differ but the bike still fits? It's all in the frame angles.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Paulus said:
I think the question your asking is, Why does each bike set up differ but the bike still fits? It's all in the frame angles.

I think you're right. And I suspect 'frame angles' is a big part of the answer, if not all of it.

I remember when I had a fitting done (on my bianchi) that I was a bit too, um, obsessive, I guess, for a while about the numbers. But there was no way my bigger framed audax bike could be set up the same way. I had to set it up based on the knowledge gained from the professional fit and not their recommended set up... I guess I figured such things as an ideal reach would be the same on any bike.

These days, I'll adjust saddle fore/aft and height as I feel. I don't look at numbers any more... but I guess I had to start somewhere and that's where the numbers helped.

Top Bottom