Bike fitting in London ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

Hello Cyclists- how have you been?
I am thinking if i should do a bike fitting before my big ride. Any recommendations for bike fitters in London ? Secondly has bike fitting helped with performance ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I am thinking if i should do a bike fitting before my big ride. Any recommendations for bike fitters in London ? Secondly has bike fitting helped with performance ?

There are a few around, depends what you are looking at.

I have had three due to injuries/joint issues, one a Retul at a bike shop in Crystal Palace (wasn't right for me as I needed someone who understood a bit more about anatomy and injury and it was too performance focused, a waste of £150) and two with physiotherapists (unfortunately neither is around any more) which were much more useful as focused on what was right for me and not what a computer told them!
The fits did nothing for 'performance' (I'm a recreational cyclist not a racer) but for me the objective was comfort (i.e. less pain!)

Are you looking to race/ride as fast as possible, if so perhaps a training coach might be more appropriate? Or what do you mean by 'performance' (endurance?)? Are you uncomfortable on your bike (how far is your big ride and when, how far into training are you)?

Whereabouts in London are you and how far are you prepared to travel?

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As @vickster says Whereabouts in London are you and how far are you prepared to travel?

A while ago I got a bike fit from Denver Collins at Panagua bikes (I don't know if he's still there) and it was an interesting and, I thought, useful experience. But they are a bit out in the sticks at Hayes (Kent) https://panaguabikes.com/

Did it help with "performance". I'd say "yes, but". Performance for me is about being able to ride all day (or sometimes all night, and very occasionally both) in comfort - or at least delaying the onset of discomfort. Some of the things Denver did definitely resulted in the bike being a tad more comfortable enabling me to push my distances a bit further. Didn't make me any quicker though. I'm beyond help in that respect.

Many people are - probably with good reason - sceptical about the value/benefit of bike fits. You can certainly get it "good enough" yourself - and it would probably be a good idea to do this and ride it a bit to get a feel for the bike before going for a bike fit. People here will be happy to give you lots of clear* advice.

*Sorry, I meant "contradictory and confusing" ;)

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Secondly has bike fitting helped with performance ?

Primarily a bike fit is for comfort or to correct specific issues, i.e knee pain from incorrectly aligned cleats etc. If your done L2P once without significant issue, a bike fit isn't going to make you faster this time around..

If you were on flat bar hybrid and have bought a drop bar road bike, then a fit may be worthwhile if your aren't finding it comfortable.

YellowV2

Veteran
I would recommend a look at Ben @ ben-efit.com

He’s just outside south London in Orpington but an absolute top bloke and I challenge anyone to find better. I believe he’s fully booked until October mind.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Sorry could nt see the responses yesterday - thanks for all your inputs

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I have had three due to injuries/joint issues, one a Retul at a bike shop in Crystal Palace (wasn't right for me as I needed someone who understood a bit more about anatomy and injury and it was too performance focused, a waste of £150) and two with physiotherapists (unfortunately neither is around any more) which were much more useful as focused on what was right for me and not what a computer told them!
The fits did nothing for 'performance' (I'm a recreational cyclist not a racer) but for me the objective was comfort (i.e. less pain!)

Are you looking to race/ride as fast as possible, if so perhaps a training coach might be more appropriate? Or what do you mean by 'performance' (endurance?)? Are you uncomfortable on your bike (how far is your big ride and when, how far into training are you)?

Thanks - i am no racer a plodder - but doing london to paris so looking to improve speed and comfort.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Do you have any reco for a coach ? THAt would be helpful too. I have back and knee pain issues so thought bike fitting may help?

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

As @vickster says Whereabouts in London are you and how far are you prepared to travel?

A while ago I got a bike fit from Denver Collins at Panagua bikes (I don't know if he's still there) and it was an interesting and, I thought, useful experience. But they are a bit out in the sticks at Hayes (Kent) https://panaguabikes.com/

Did it help with "performance". I'd say "yes, but". Performance for me is about being able to ride all day (or sometimes all night, and very occasionally both) in comfort - or at least delaying the onset of discomfort. Some of the things Denver did definitely resulted in the bike being a tad more comfortable enabling me to push my distances a bit further. Didn't make me any quicker though. I'm beyond help in that respect.

Many people are - probably with good reason - sceptical about the value/benefit of bike fits. You can certainly get it "good enough" yourself - and it would probably be a good idea to do this and ride it a bit to get a feel for the bike before going for a bike fit. People here will be happy to give you lots of clear* advice.

*Sorry, I meant "contradictory and confusing" ;)

Yes i need to get comfy to ride whole day and at a consistent pace- thats why thought can bike fitting help. I am in centralish london - near tower bridge

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - i am no racer a plodder - but doing london to paris so looking to improve speed and comfort.

Speed, time on bike (Plus your natural speed and ability, for your sex, men are generally faster than women).

Comfort, might also come with time on bike (is it a new bike?)

is something specifically uncomfortable, do you do any sort of other exercise, conditioning, Pilates?

When is the ride?

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

vickster

Legendary Member
Same bike as my last ride. But i have developed back pain and knee pain if i ride long. Dont think its due to biking - but wondering if bike fitting can ease it a bit will check the retul link

See above. Cross posted. Sounds like you’d benefit from physio in the first instance

Top Bottom