Bike for £1k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blindmanpugh

Hi had some good replies from my previous post and now am in a quandry?

Work has a "cycle2work" scheme that allows me to purchase/lease a cycle over 18 months, and would appear to save me a rather large amount of money IF i purchase a new cycle from halfords. However, it has to be purchased from Halfords, as they run the scheme.

Have been looking at various bikes - on the internet, and the plethora of bikes available has made me realize things have moved on since i gave up cycling.

So what would anyone recommend for me. Used to TT and the odd RR, and used to train regularly completing 100- 150 miles a week, but now want to commute to work 2-3 times a week (24 mile round trip) and do the odd long ride on a weekend.

have looked at the Specialized Allez Elite £850, and the Giant SCR1 - £850, and Halfords are offering a Carrera Virago Carbon for £899.

What do people think of these bikes and can anyone recommend one of them or give me some other ideas of bikes that i can try to order.

got-to-get-fit

Hello blindmanpugh

Lot of people rave about the Planet X carbon road bikes, they come equiped with full Ultegra and certainly look the part. They have partnered with Halfords for the cycle to work scheme so getting one through your local halfords should be a piece of p**s ............thats what i would do anyway, but im sure there will be a raft of people along in a min to give you differing advice.

PLanet x have their own website check it out.

doyler78

got-to-get-fit said:
Hello blindmanpugh

Lot of people rave about the Planet X carbon road bikes, they come equiped with full Ultegra and certainly look the part. They have partnered with Halfords for the cycle to work scheme so getting one through your local halfords should be a piece of p**s ............thats what i would do anyway, but im sure there will be a raft of people along in a min to give you differing advice.

PLanet x have their own website check it out.

I'm afraid that's all a little out of date. Their deal is now comes with a Dura Ace Shifters, Front & Rear Mech, Ultegra Chain & Cassette, FSA Chainset & Tektro Brakes and they no longer work with Halfords however they do have arrangements with CycleScheme.

The £999 deal is here:

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/SL_Pro_Carbon_Road_999.html

However for the OP it won't be much good as the Halfords tie in makes this impossible now.

Top Bottom