Bike for Bobby (newcastle)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Mmmmmmmm......that looks interesting actually, someone mentioned it a while ago & i'd forgotten all about it.
70 mile course for me it would be i guess.

thefatcyclist

Hi guys have you done this before? is there much climbing involved? I am dropping my daughter off at the inlaws that weekend so might sign up for it.

WobblyBob

Hi
I've never done this before but i do cycle round that area from time time & i would describe the general area as 'undulating' !
Its hard to comment whether its hilly or not as everyone has their own ideas of that....i don't even think the actual route has been finalised yet but it's pretty fair to guess its going to be a challenge.

Sorry i probably have'nt helped much have i ha ha

thefatcyclist

I'm from Ashington originally so I know the area reasonably well I was wondering about the specific route. I did a 55 miler on the mtb in London and decided to buy a road bike so was unsure of going for the 125 or 70 mile route, as you say it will probably be challenging so will just do the 70 miler. I'll probably be the bloke at the back on the black allez:laugh:

I quite like the sound of the 125miler but its not really close to me; good luck to those that have entered.

albion

Guru
Methinks I certainly have covered the whole route up to the to and fro bit west of Bellingham.

I would certainly term it undulating. It ain't easy but there are no real nightmares en route either.
It is certainly steady hard work as a few times I have preferred an early morning A696 rather than the hillier section above it through Cambo.

OP
OP
DaveyM

DaveyM

Über Member
The route is all on the link, with a terrain map.
Last year it was only a 35 mile ride (one route for all)

follow the link, scroll down, click on the route short, middle or full ditance and you'll get all the details.

I am doing the middle distance. There are some hills aroung the Simonside Hills area (near Rothbury) but not impossible :thumbsup:

Keenbfb

I did the ride last year as my first ever sportive the idea last year was it was the first training ride done in preparation for the ride they did around all of Bobby Robsons football clubs. This year I'm doing the 40 mile course I could do the 70 but I'm also trying to get the wife to do it, we've been around the 40 route twice now and I would say it was more or less flat compared to other rides I've done in the area.

Top Bottom