Bike for commuting - around £300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattR2011

Regular
I've recently got into cycling, mostly commuting to university (about 10 miles each way, all roads) and for food shopping etc. At the moment I have a cheap halfords apollo code hybrid bike, which does the job alright but not well, and I think I'd like to get something better.

I need something that can take a rack (I have one which I'd like to reuse), and mudguards. I'm not really sure if to get another hybrid or a road bike - I can't see myself doing a lot of off road at any point, but I use canal towpaths sometimes. Can anyone give me some advice on a suitable bike?

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Matt,
The problem is for £300 you are not going to get a lot better than you have now. For something which may be a little better is the Carrera TDF from halfords is a round £300, I got mine for £299 but they are about £325 but this week there is 20% off.

I've done about 4000 miles on mine so have changed the tyres, chain, saddle etc all general wear and tear and I changed the cranks/pedals as a personal preference. I gave the old ones to another CC member. They have mudgard lugs and good clearance too so should take a carrier.

I use mine for commuting and for long easy rides on weekends. They are not light, mine is around 28lb with lights mudguards etc. But you get what you pay for.

A good second hand bike may be a better choice.

HTH

400bhp

Guru
Matt-will you be using the bike to get to/from Uni?

A very important question is where will you leave the bike?

How tall are you? Found (IMO) bargain of the week:

Halfords are doing the Subway One but only in 18" at £183 inc discounts, valid till Monday.

Thats my current ride, and I've covered roughly 3000 miles in two years on it, variety of road/towpath/gravel track.

Couple others, as coincidentally I've been looking for similar machines but with a fork are:

Specialized CrossTrail 2011 £299 @ Evans
Giant Roam 2 £297 @ Wiggle

zigzag

Veteran
if you want to buy new - cheap and cheerful bike for getting about would be this (you want it to be simple, reliable and not very attractive to thieves)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Might be worth looking at CRC & some of the Corratec bikes :thumbsup: They have old models in stock many reduced around your price point. I bought This a while back for 303 quid with a bank holiday discount they were doing. Mine has rack, mudguards, stand, dynamo lights all as std.
The hub geared options are great for low maintenance & I went for the belt drive to reduce maintenance even further :thumbsup:

Zoiders

I would get the Subway as a commute for the coming winter as it's a rigid MTB that will take knobblies, even studded ones. they also throw in £40 worth of bits like lights or whatever IIRC which is not to be sniffed at.

400bhp

Guru
How tall are you? Found (IMO) bargain of the week:

Halfords are doing the Subway One but only in 18" at £183 inc discounts, valid till Monday.

That is an excellent buy!

I have a Subway 1 - tempted to buy this then sell mine on Fleabay (they go for around £100).

Norm

The base Specialized Sirrus is spot on your budget and it's what my son uses for his 3.5 mile daily commute to school. It's has guards and is regularly used on tow paths as well as bridle paths. It's a lovely ride, too, I reckon it is most excellent for that money.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That is an excellent buy!

I have a Subway 1 - tempted to buy this then sell mine on Fleabay (they go for around £100).

Wish i had kept my subway 1 if am i honest , roadies are very nice but sometimes it would be nice to have somethign more rugged for the really dodgy weather, got a freecycle full suss BSO which is meh.I wonder if i should sell it on ebay as it does look mint and most people do like that sort of thing?

Norry1

Legendary Member
I had the same issue - I wanted a bike for wet weather. I didn't want to spend too much and I wanted one that took full mudguards.

I ended up with http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...er-_-Product_List_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PLPz1

a Carrera Virtuoso Road bike. List was £329 and there was £40 0ff. On top of that there is another 20% until end of Monday. (I had also bought some vouchers recently, which were 10% off list.

I bought SKS full mudguards at £23 each which they fitted - and bought 2 bar bags as there was a 3 for 2 accessories deal. So in effect I got that lot for £230 which I think is pretty good. Just hope the bike is okay to ride
biggrin.gif

Martin

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had the same issue - I wanted a bike for wet weather. I didn't want to spend too much and I wanted one that took full mudguards.

I ended up with http://www.halfords....nk&iozone=PLPz1

a Carrera Virtuoso Road bike. List was £329 and there was £40 0ff. On top of that there is another 20% until end of Monday. (I had also bought some vouchers recently, which were 10% off list.

I bought SKS full mudguards at £23 each which they fitted - and bought 2 bar bags as there was a 3 for 2 accessories deal. So in effect I got that lot for £230 which I think is pretty good. Just hope the bike is okay to ride
biggrin.gif

Martin

Good deal :smile:

My virtuoso is the main bike , used for commuting and winter riding and i still like to ride it .Good points are the mounting points for a rack and room for mudgaurds .I fitted crud roadracer`s and changed the tyres and a rack.
After a couple of years riding i burnt through the bottom bracket and large chainring, apart from consumables likes a new brake cable, chains, a cassette and some brake blocks it has not cost much to keep running sweetly.
I forgot had to have a rear wheel respoke but that might be down to carrying a fair amount of kit and the wheel decided to drop a spoke or 2 a week after maybe 6-7000 miles so i decided it would be best to have it redone rather than just waiting on them.

diapason

A good second hand bike may be a better choice.

HTH

+1 Something like a Dawes Galaxy, or a similar touring bike will be ideal for commuting and you should be able to get hold of a decent one well within your budget. It's also. hopefully, less attractive to thieves, but invest in a good lock.

Top Bottom