Bike for female from Decathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Decathlon hybrids seem to be the continental style of solid urban bike, rather than the flat-bar-road-bike-with-fat-wheels or mountain-bike-with-skinny-wheels bikes we're sold over here. Point her at the Rockrider 500s. Decent enough bikes for the price, available in a range of colours. Baskets and bells are also available.

vickster

Legendary Member
Could look at the Pendletons at Halfords. Discounts for British Cycling members

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Speaking as a feminist myself, I don't really like the design of those Pendleton step-thru bikes. I bought my wife a second hand Pashley last year; I would have liked to Patronize the lovely Victoria's company, but there's just something in that kinked top tube that turns milk sour, like a church bell with a crack in it...

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've got a GT 1 hybrid. A road bike too but that's when I'm out myself.

Went to Decathlon and she went for an Original 520:
IMG_3251.PNG

Went to Decathlon and she went for an Original 520:
Great. She should get the bike she wants now. In a year's time she may want/need something else, but the only way to start is to get the bike the pulls her heartstrings.

Personal story - in 2008 I bought a folder because that was the bike I needed then. 4 years later I was commuting 17 miles (each way!) on it, and doing 100km runs and then the Dunwich Dynamo on it. Obviously a Mezzo D9 was not the bike for these things, but it was the bike I wanted/needed in 2008, and it got me to the edge of London-Edinburgh-London.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Why not let the woman in need of a bike open her own CC account and ask for herself?
Not meaning you, OP, this happens often on here, at least you could let the women post under your own account, so they could explain their bike needs in more details.
When I started cycling I was 48, only wanted to ride to work and back with the occasional shopping stop.
I was attracted to pretty bikes with baskets, not knowing anything about specs, weight or component durability.
Now that I'm into my 6th year of commuting, general leisure riding, occasional touring and even more occasional CC hilly rides, I know exactly what I need and what I like: I got myself my bike for life for my Christmas.
It is a Genesis flat bar tourer, fits me like a glove, a pleasure to look at, a pleasure to ride.
The LBS I went to picked it, asked me to ride it round the park: it was instant love!
If years ago somebody would have let me try the Genesis, instead of automatically assuming I wanted a cheap runner about, I would not have bought the intervening 6 bikes, that were all loved and used but never quite satisfactory.
So, OP, you might not like the answer from a financial point of view: if you buy a cheap one now it either will not get used, or eventually you're going to have to buy another.
Btw, after getting a basket for my first bike, I discovered I hate them and rather prefer panniers ^_^

Top Bottom