Bike for the wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I have been looking at a new bike for my wife, she is used to riding a steel framed cheap Claude Butler that's seen better days, it weighs a ton and I was looking for something that's lighter for her to lift on to tow bar mounted bike carrier, she can’t lift her mountain bike alone due to issues she has.

I was looking at hybrids and gravel type bikes, it would be used on roads locally and the occasional ride around bedgebury and bewl water, so gravel type surfaces.

I was thinking of a Boardman HYB 8.6, or a Gravel of some type.

She doesn’t want to spend much cap of around £800, if it’s a copy that offers blue light discount then even better.

Also she isn't a huge fan of suspension one due to weight and lifting the bike, also on the roads and going up hills it seems to bounce around too much and take some of the effort out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the Merlin or decathlon gravels if she wants drop bars.
Flat bar look at Whyte R7s which also come in wsd models

vickster

Legendary Member
Another option could be a Liv flat bar or a used Devote for gravel.
The Trek FX flatbars are good too and should get a strong spec for £800.

Naturally she needs to test ride and decide :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Boardman would be a good choice. I think they also do one with a hub gear and belt drive, lower maintenance. Decathlon also have some suitable models but most are unfortunately with suspension fork.
Have a look what your LBS has to offer. Better to try before you buy.

I
The old ones are the best eh @Sterlo ?

Wish my wife thought that. ^_^

Sharky

Guru
it weighs a ton
It does seem rather heavy!

To eliminate guesswork and false impressions when trying out bikes - Measure current bikes weight accurately, using one of those "luggage" gauges. Then in the shop, measure the ones you are interested in. Catalogue specifications could be miss leading as they often refer to a specific size. To make a noticeable diffence, I would think you should aim for 2 or 3 kg savings.

My road bikes are all around 10kg, which I class as lightweights, but not super light as you can get really light weight ones as little as 6 or 7 kg.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
It does seem rather heavy!

To eliminate guesswork and false impressions when trying out bikes - Measure current bikes weight accurately, using one of those "luggage" gauges. Then in the shop, measure the ones you are interested in. Catalogue specifications could be miss leading as they often refer to a specific size. To make a noticeable diffence, I would think you should aim for 2 or 3 kg savings.

My road bikes are all around 10kg, which I class as lightweights, but not super light as you can get really light weight ones as little as 6 or 7 kg.

Oh it’s horribly heavy it’s a steel framed mountain bike, with cheap nasty front suspension, I hate lifting the thing onto the tow bar carrier.

I’m spoilt as I think my road bikes are in the 8-10kg range, and this thing is way in excess of those.

Anything that makes her happier to cycle and makes it more enjoyable is a plus really.

Top Bottom