Bike for work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Ordered the charge steamer 2010 half price for 250 at evans cycles i just hope it dont feel to slow and hard work compared to my road bike but im looking forward to riding in an upright position and hate having a ruck sack on my back in hot weather

Going from riding a road bike to riding an upright - you will feel a bit slower but you won't care because sitting upright will make you feel like a KING!

Also half price? Get in!

OP
OP
M

Makemore

Yes im looking forward to cruising round on it in the sunshine

corshamjim

Wow - that's an absolute bargain! If I had 250 notes to spare I'd be after one like a shot. I'll be interested to hear your impressions when it arrives and you get a chance to ride it.

I ordered my Steamer online the other night. Should be ready by the weekend. Will keep you posted on what it's like but for £250 it should be a great buy for just lazy summer days and trips to the shops.

Bill

OP
OP
M

Makemore

I did recieve it last week but there was a problem with the handlebars when i tightened the bolt on the stem the thread went so it got sent back and waiting for a replacement which should be here soon so i cant say what its like still because i havent tested it yet but it seemed like a nice bike and will let you know when i finally ride it.

As with everything, there are snobs who will sniff at the thought of a bike like the Steamer. But for general duties I would prefer to park my Charge outside a Waitrose than my Langster or Secteur. I am seriously considering buying a basket for the bars to make it less attractive to thieves. (I can always take it off)
It's black, and won't stand out in a bike park. 'Nuff said.

Bill

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
As with everything, there are snobs who will sniff at the thought of a bike like the Steamer. But for general duties I would prefer to park my Charge outside a Waitrose than my Langster or Secteur. I am seriously considering buying a basket for the bars to make it less attractive to thieves. (I can always take it off)
It's black, and won't stand out in a bike park. 'Nuff said.

Bill

I think it's a really smart bike - it's a bargain for £250 too, I bet there's £200 of Sturmey Archer bits on it! :becool:

david1701

if I lived in a city or somewhere flat I'd have one like a shot its gorgeous :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
I think it's a really smart bike - it's a bargain for £250 too, I bet there's £200 of Sturmey Archer bits on it! :becool:

To be fair, I think you could probably buy the entire SA catalogue for £200 at trade prices. Some of their rebranded bits are pretty cheap and nasty.

I picked up my Charge Steamer yesterday evening on the way to work. A quick hop to Gatwick Airport for the train didn't really tell me much so I took the coastal cycle route home this morning from Brighton (6-ish miles). First impressions:
It is certainly no race bike, but is sure-footed and a pleasure to ride. Finding a comfortable riding position was very easy. The SA hub works fine but, as I have a similar hub on my Brommie, riding with one is second nature to me now. There is a rubbing on the mudguards somewhere that I will sort out a bit later but that is down to how it was built. This bike will certainly get used and the rear rack will come in very handy. All bikes are nickable I suppose but this one shouldn't stand out too much and looks as though it will be pretty robust. Scalped a couple of Apollos too :laugh:
Evans were giving £34.99 Smart Polaris light sets with each bike sold between 2nd-8th May so I asked if, as I had ordered my bike on the 2nd, whether I still qualified for the offer. Yes came the reply so that's even more money saved.
All in all I'm very pleased.

Bill

Woz!

Bought my wife the Lazy Susan (ladies version of the Steamer) from Evans a few weeks ago. Good service from Evans - there was a little scratch on the frame that they pointed out and gave me a further £50 off - so it only cost 200 quid!

The photos don't do it justice - it's a VERY good looking bike. The tyres are really fat balloons, which set it off well and make it look like a proper California beach cruiser!
Well impressed with the finish - although it also had a rubbing noise from the mudguards until I tightened up a few bolts.
It weighs quite a lot, but that's not a problem once you're going and it's not intended for racing on.
My wife loves it. I'd buy a Steamer in a shot for the bargain price it's at.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bought my wife the Lazy Susan (ladies version of the Steamer) from Evans a few weeks ago. Good service from Evans - there was a little scratch on the frame that they pointed out and gave me a further £50 off - so it only cost 200 quid!

That's the one I bought for Mrs 3BM, I thought they look better 'in real life' too. She needed to swap the bike for a different size and the whole transaction took no time at all and no extra cost. Good service I rec.

Top Bottom