Bike from my teenage years, what is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
With the brake lever configuration reversed (right = rear) was it an import or did someone mix them up?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Raleigh Carlton Competition, 231/2

Black and white cable outers!
Thank you. Not sure if you're correct about the picture but more importantly you've helped me remember the bike I had 43 years ago in York.

I've been wracking my brains for weeks trying to remember. It was a beautiful silvery green. When I was skint I sold it to a guy who wanted to take up cycling. £50. Still regret that now and have never got rid of a bike since.

southcoast

Über Member
Puch rings a bell, would that account for the reversed brakes?

Oh I thought this was a quiz and you knew what the bike was. Lol
The bike looks a bit like a PUCH Alpine of similar model to me.
The standard setup for the UK is the front brake on the right. It’s the opposite in many other countries.
Although i know some people who prefer a right hand rear brake and set their bikes up that way In the UK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Oh I thought this was a quiz and you knew what the bike was. Lol
The bike looks a bit like a PUCH Alpine of similar model to me.
The standard setup for the UK is the front brake on the right. It’s the opposite in many other countries.
Although i know some people who prefer a right hand rear brake and set their bikes up that way In the UK.
I'd love to find what make/model it was. I've since checked & that's the only picture I have of the bike. I put cowhorn handlebars on soon after this, rode it for a couple of years until I got a moped. It was riiden to the pub one Sunday lunchtime circa 1982, I got lashed & the bike was put in an adjacent shed for safe keeping. I moved away got married had a family etc. Around 2005 I bumped into a former employee of the pub who told me the bike was thrown out when the pub/hotel was closed down & cleared in 2002.

southcoast

Über Member
I'd love to find what make/model it was. I've since checked & that's the only picture I have of the bike. I put cowhorn handlebars on soon after this, rode it for a couple of years until I got a moped. It was riiden to the pub one Sunday lunchtime circa 1982, I got lashed & the bike was put in an adjacent shed for safe keeping. I moved away got married had a family etc. Around 2005 I bumped into a former employee of the pub who told me the bike was thrown out when the pub/hotel was closed down & cleared in 2002.
Do a internet search for Puch Alpine and see if it looks familiar?
What moped did you have?

OP
OP
newts

newts

Veteran
Do a internet search for Puch Alpine and see if it looks familiar?
What moped did you have?
Nothing comes up in green on a search although stem & lugs appear similar.
I had a purple FS1E 👍

Gillstay

Über Member
Ha, I guessed Hillman hunter, but hopeless on the bike. Aside from t does look English with that seat bolt and the bit of front brake poking up.

Top Bottom