Bike handles poorly over about 23mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no problems until I get up to speed and especially downhill. It feels just like you are riding with a gusty crosswind, the bike will not track straight and wobbles around.
Its a new frame, PlanetX RT-58 v2, new headset, new bottom bracket.
Nothing has any slack in it, wheels bearings are all in good condition, no slack in the headset, and not too tight.
An ideas?

Sharky

Guru
Are the tyres seated OK?

Tin Pot

Guru
Or handlebars not straight, pointing slightly to one side.

In the absence of obvious flaws I’d be tempted to take the whole headset/bars apart and put it back together again.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nobody has asked about the wheels. How deep are the rims? 45 mm or above can make you feel like an invisible hand is pushing you around.

Headsets can be too loose even though you can't feel any slack. Release the pinch bolts and tighten the top cap down by half a turn.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I would also let us know the stem length.
I run RT58 as the hack bike, it is fairly innocuous in the handling stakes. I am able to throw up 2 hands waving the Vs when necessary after being hooted at for being on the road - no issue with the bike still going straight on.
Are the wheels, especially the rear - dead centre in the chain stays?

freiston

Veteran
I had a bike like that once (didn't notice it starting at any particular speed though) but it wasn't worth enough to spend the money sorting it out (there were other issues with the bike too). I suspected that my problem was either a badly seated headset cup or the head tube not being faced correctly - I couldn't tell from a visual though (I suspected a bend to the forks but when removed and placed on a flat surface, they appeared good)

Last edited:
Top Bottom