Bike hit by car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I was standing in a tailback the other day,when i saw a bike shoot off the road about 50 yards in front of me,the back wheel was badly bent,it looked like a car had pulled out of the juction ahead and clipped this guys wheel and sent it flying,he didnt stop by the looks of it and took off leaving the cyclist on the road with a well nackered bike,by the time i had got to him he was on the path with his bent bike ,and a bit of blood on his hand and may be his head too,a bit shaken,i asked if i could phone someone for him,but he declined and said he was ok,and someone was with him helping him.im hoping that out of all the cars and people about at the time,it was home time, that someone got a number plate of this moron that hit him,i passed the place again today only to see this gentlemans bike leant in a hedge,obviously becouse it was so badly damaged.It just rammed it home how vulnerable we can be.

Keith Oates

Janner
IIRC 'hit and run' is quite a serious offence, I share your hopes that someone saw the incident and recorded the car number plate details to pass onto the Police!!

spen666

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
IIRC 'hit and run' is quite a serious offence, I share your hopes that someone saw the incident and recorded the car number plate details to pass onto the Police!!

Sadly it is not treated particularly seriously unless some one is killed or seriously injured :thumbsup:

Something like 25% of accidents in London these days are said to involve hit and run drivers.

The maximum penalty for failing to stop [FTS]or failing to report [FTR]an accident is 6 months imprisonment, and that is rarely used. It should be raised to 14 years ( same as for causing death by dangerous driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs) [DDDWUI].

Those who FTS or FTR should be treated as being guilty of the DDDWUI offence and sentenced accordingly. It would make people think twice before leaving the scene of an accident

Tynan

Veteran
six months is plenty, them not enforcing it is the problem

don't forget there's all other sorts of charges they can throw at him

driving without tax/insurance/licence would be likely contenders I reckon

assuming they even noticed

spen666

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
six months is plenty, them not enforcing it is the problem

don't forget there's all other sorts of charges they can throw at him

driving without tax/insurance/licence would be likely contenders I reckon

assuming they even noticed

Six months is NOT plenty as it encourages those who are under influence of drink or drugs to leave the scene. The penalties are much reduced if they do.

I personally represented a driver who faced a 5 year sentence if he had remained at scene of crash, but by leaving it max was reduced to 6 months. Guess what he chose to do? Yes- left and handed himself in days later when not under influence of any drink or drugs

driving without tax/insurance/licence - are you a comedian? These carry a fine only- hardly going to make driver remain at scene is it

Tynan

Veteran
comedian?

that's why they don't stop, carries ban too, laughably

it's still six months in prison, people seem to think anything less than five years isn't worth anything

why did he hand himself in?

spen666

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
comedian?

that's why they don't stop, carries ban too, laughably

it's still six months in prison, people seem to think anything less than five years isn't worth anything

why did he hand himself in?

He handed himself in because police knew it was him. He waited till he was "clean" of drink/drugs and took the 6 months instead of the 5 years.

You appear however to be mistaking the word MAXIMUM for the sentence that is given.

Tynan

Veteran
how did they know it was him, if they knew they should have come for him then

I understand this argument perfectly well, if the max is six months then they can give it if they want to as opposed to doing little or nothing as they do

You might argue that if no-one is really hurt that the police have better things to do

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Tynan said:
how did they know it was him, if they knew they should have come for him then
I don't think it is yet compulsory to go home after an accident , you just "disappear" to a mates house for a few days,
sadly. :thumbsup:

Tynan

Veteran
gotcha

blimey

and make up some nonsense about why you don't stop/turn yourself in?

what is that nonsense exactly?

six months in the big house is no laughing matter

one of the in laws got busted for speeding through a red light under the influence and got six months so perhaps your friend didn't get off all that lightly

spen666

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
gotcha

blimey

and make up some nonsense about why you don't stop/turn yourself in?

what is that nonsense exactly?

six months in the big house is no laughing matter

one of the in laws got busted for speeding through a red light under the influence and got six months so perhaps your friend didn't get off all that lightly

6 months or 5 years

I would say 6 months is getting off lightly for killing someone whilst high on drink/drugs

PS Speeding, failing to comply with a ed traffic light AND excess alcohol alone would not get you a 6 month sentence. it may do if it was dangerous driving though

Tynan

Veteran
first you've mentioned killing someone

why only six months then? manslaughter, death by dangerous driving etc etc, the CPS are gutless

and he got six months, I think there was an allegation of racing

Top Bottom