Bike horizontal ceiling storage question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

primarius

Hi.

I'm new to biking. Since I lack space in my apartment, I was thinking about keeping bike exactly the same like on the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J9LcU-1RZs

My question is: Can this lateral pressure on wheels/ axis/ mechanics damage some parts in time, or it is perfectly ok to keep bike like this?

Any other simple suggestion ok storing bike parallel to ceiling is welcome.

Thanks

I quite like that solution, looks home made so I'd probably want to have some sort of hook and fastener for the rope rather than tieing it every time which I'd regard as a bit of a faff.

I don't have a parellel to ceiling solution but I used one of these for a while, advantage is its free standing so no need to drill into wall etc You could just store a bike on top, you wouldn't get as much space as storing it horizontally but its better than on the floor.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/249-TWOUP-TUNEUP-BIKE-STAND

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All depends if you are OK drilling holes in your celling/can find a joist. I have a free standing version of the topeak above which is quite handy for storing one of the bikes out of the way in the garage - the rest are on wall hooks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Neat solution. There is no pressure on any components as far as I can see.
You just need to make sure your joists are substantial enough.

The bike's spokes and rims are under considerably more strain when being ridden than when just hanging there. If you're worried about one side of the spokes being under tension and the other compression for long periods of time, just rotate the valve a bit further round each time you hang the bike as the loads differ around the wheel. But it's a non-issue really, more for peace of mind!

I'd be more worried about the bike dropping crap (or drip-drying if I washed it) onto the sofa! ^_^

OP
OP
P

primarius

Thank you all for advice

a little step back...The first storage solution I was considering was placing bicycle frame on hanger/ hooks like on the red hooks on photo in attachment.

that would do for me but my worry is next: cables for gears and brakes are right beneath main horizontal frame bar, so that means they would be the first in contact with hooks and carry the stress of hanging and manipulating the bike (photo 2).

I guess I shouldn't do that? honestly, I don't think it would ruin the cables but it could have some bad effect, couldn't it?

Or perhaps, dislocate the cables, could that be done easily?

Thank you once again

Attachments

• fa4d251779fdf803d0589be749a8cf9e.jpg
    fa4d251779fdf803d0589be749a8cf9e.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-05-18 124810.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-18 124810.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 5

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wouldn't worry about the cables in contact with the hanger. Cables under the plastic are steel and not given to compression.
The only thing you need to make sure of is the wall is solid and not a stud wall as that might take the weight too well and the constant up and down.

OP
OP
P

primarius

Here is the actual photo of cables. They are naked, tightened, 3 of them and about 1 cm distant from the bar. My concern was they would loose and damage but anyway I think it would not be a good idea to press them against bar with 15 kg g-force.

Attachments

• 20230518_221045.jpg
    20230518_221045.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 6

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Okay, so they run without any outer, that’s a bit different. They also seem to stand some way off the top tubes so you’d be pulling them a little. I still think you’d be okay but if you’re worried fashion a strip or strips of wood to fill in the gap so they don’t get stressed.

dicko

Guru
I bought this bike hoist from Lidl for under a tenner, it certainly holds the cycle above my head and so far utterly reliable.

IMG_3255.jpeg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I hoist them right up to the apex of the garage roof by the front wheel. Pulley chained around the top rafter (I don't trust screwed-on pulleys for this) and a nylon rope. Half-blood knot around the front rim.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have used this sort of hanging system for year with no issues for my bikes

1684487826039.png

If you have a suitable corning you hang one in? being vertical they don't take up too much room. easier to mount and hang from but not quite as out of the way as on the ceiling. my mate manages to fit a couple in an under stair cupboard with these too.

Okay, so they run without any outer, that’s a bit different. They also seem to stand some way off the top tubes so you’d be pulling them a little. I still think you’d be okay but if you’re worried fashion a strip or strips of wood to fill in the gap so they don’t get stressed.

A quick and dirty way would be just use a couple of old socks in between the hook and the bike, they would absorb some of the pressure.

Top Bottom