Bike Indicators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hsmith81

Hi folks,
i've just taken up cycling to and from work to get fit and save some petrol as well.
I'm from the UK and the nights are drawing in here. Poor visibility and rush hour traffic are not ideal for a safe ride I must admit...
Just wondering if anyone rates any indicators and whether they are worth looking into purchasing to improve safety and visibility...

Any thoughts...

Harry

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
:ohmy:

What do you mean by indicators? If you mean orange things the consensus opinion in the past would be along the lines of

(a) a bicycle is a very narrow object so there is the problem of distinguishability of what is left and what is right.
(:ohmy: where a cyclist's intentions are clear it could encourage bad behaviours such as the left hand chop or premature overtakes.
(c) the money would be better spent on a good quality set of front and rear lights/additional front and rear lights.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Lights.
Lots of lights...

Seriously, indicators aren't that much help. Get a few lights at each end, some flashing, some steady, and a good one to see where you're going. Reflective stuff is good too.

Oh, and welcome!! :ohmy:

bauldbairn

hsmith81 said:
Hi folks,
i've just taken up cycling to and from work to get fit.
I'm from the UK and the nights are drawing in here.
Any thoughts...
Harry

;) to the forum......we too are from the UK! :smile:(most of us anyway;))

Hi-viz bib and plenty of lights. These are relatively cheap ways to make sure you are seen by all other vehicle users on the road. The flashing LED lights are probably the best "to be seen" ones for the front and rear of your bike,if your cycling on lit roads anyway.

Do a search on the internet or this forum for opinions on lights.

Or tell us your budget and we'll spend it for you(tell you what to get and where to get it).:smile:

Good Luck, Harry!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If you are worried about hand signals being seen, then you could wear clothing with reflective bits on the sleeves/gloves or wear a slap band on your arm - you can even get some reflective bands with light on them (Aldi did them earlier in the year).

thomas

the tank engine
I've seen a few different indicators on the market, and if you had one they would definitly need to be backed up by a hand signal. Therefore, I'd save your money.

Other road users won't expect to see a cyclists indicate like a motorbike/car, so I would expect problems if you used them.

Get a decent front light and a good back light. Then get some other light which you can stick on for extra visability.

Knogs are quite good. I've got two on my helmet and having seen other cyclists using them they are suprisingly bright - even in dusk.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
summerdays said:
If you are worried about hand signals being seen, then you could wear clothing with reflective bits on the sleeves/gloves or wear a slap band on your arm - you can even get some reflective bands with light on them (Aldi did them earlier in the year).

Yup, what summerdays says, if you are new to commuting in traffic it is also worth get a copy of Cyclecraft and reading it... :hungry:

jimboalee

summerdays said:

Seen this in New York. Damned effective.

The reflective bits were amber and were on his fingers. To give the correct effect, the guy clenched and straightened his fist in the appropriate timing.

I've looked for the amber reflective bits and decided not to buy it because the supplier would only sell £100 worth.

:smile::sad:

Yep, like the others said, just go with decent lights and reflective gloves or wristbands.

Davidc

Guru
^^ Looks to me as if the car's already hit that man on the bike!

I have these slap wraps
http://www.chesterford.co.uk/acatalog/Reflective_armbands_-__slap-on_armbands_._.html
which are reflective and also bright yellow in daylight. I use a pair as trouser clips and another on my wrists.

I've been told that it's very effective.

I'm paranoid about being seen, but there are limits to how many lights and gizmos I'm prepared to carry, so anything more complicated will need to be good before I buy it.

dgreen_ gb

Hi people...
I've been taking note of this discussion and I thought i'd add a link to a patent for a Turn Signal Indicator in the UK:
http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi...ey=GB2421421B&ViewTemplate=gb/en/textdraw.hts

In short it's for a bike indicator located on the arm and is activated via a touch sensitive switch and utilises an amber light. Therefore is used in combination with an arm signal when turning.

Definitely an alternative to rear indicators but will it catch on or not??

bauldbairn

dgreen_ gb said:
Hi people...
I've been taking note of this discussion and I thought i'd add a link to a patent for a Turn Signal Indicator in the UK:
http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi...ey=GB2421421B&ViewTemplate=gb/en/textdraw.hts
Definitely an alternative to rear indicators but will it catch on or not??

Firstly, welcome to the CC forum. :sad:

Secondly, Is this your own design and are you looking for feedback?

It's definately a different concept to anything I've seen - but I think others have posted descriptions of similar items.

Personally I think the best use of this type of item would be incorperation into cycle / riding clothing. With the arrow's embedded in the arm material - possibly using the same technology that allow's changeable messages on T-shirt fronts(only brighter). Operation of arrows could be by adjustable gravity swiches(or modern equiv..) that only operate in your own chosen angle of signal - probably 90 degrees(horizontal). These would be "off" in every other position.

Every safety device is interesting - but useful / practical /desireable is another question.

Top Bottom