Bike Information Required Please .. Vintage Raleigh racing bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At a guess I would say mid to late 80's. As for the name I'm not sure .

I'll have a look .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have picked up this bike and was wondering how old it is.

Can anybody please provide details about age and maybe even a model number / name

One problem, I blew up the tyres and see now that part of the tyre is bulging out from the wheel rim. I lowered the pressure and stuffed the tyre back in again, before blowing it up again. It has popped out again. What is causing this please and how do I fix it.

Many thanks !

I think its a Panasonic

The tyre hopefully just needs re seating on the rim

Looks like a 1987 Team Panasonic Flyer to me.

If the tyre's popping off the rim consistently, it's probably knackered and/or perished so the wire bead (around the rim of the tyre) has lost its integrity. Or it could just be some crud forcing it off. Take the wheel off the bike and the tyre off the wheel and have a look.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is indeed a Panasonic, maybe a flyer as above.

Raleigh had a Panasonic racing team, mid eighties I think, there were various models from Team replica down to ones for Joe average. I think yours is one of the latter with plain gauge steel tubing, unless it has a Reynolds decal:

29qfhwp.jpg

From the Raleigh catalogue, this one has a Reynolds 531 frame;

23hoigi.jpg

You need a new tyre.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I suspect it's an old rim, not of the hook-bead kind. If so it's unlikely to cope with more than about 60psi.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
24F8CB82-0BB1-42F9-B7DE-3861ECC6B6C7.jpeg
I don’t think it’s a Panasonic, I’m sure they all had blue forks and different banding. Looks like a 1986 Flyer to me, should say ‘flyer’ on the chainstay.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you look at the bottom of the seat tube there is clearly a 18-23 sticker visible, indicating it is made of plain gauge hi-tensile tubing. Nothing wrong with it; I have an 18-23 Pioneer frame which rides fine - but an indication of a low-end spec, along with the "suicide" levers on the brakes. Again, I actually like them for their versatility in hand positions. The bulk of Raleigh's output of "racers" comprised similar bikes, so they are neither rare nor valuable - but are perfectly good bikes all the same. Ideal for worry-free casual everyday use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom