Bike Innovations you don't need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I mentioned that because hand discomfort on long rides is something I experience when riding my old bike which has markedly thinner bars. Also noticeable in that gadget clamps won't fit both because of the size difference. I had to Dremel out the old Garmin mount to fit the new bars.
Don't most Garmin mounts fit near the clamp and not on the grip?

Anyway: Garmins. There's an innovation 49% don't need, as discussed on several threads ;)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
What we really wouldn't like would probably be clothing that won't dry easily and utterly crap lights.
+1 to that.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
[QUOTE 5067623, member: 9609"]I think it would aid concentration which would be a good thing for safety - being little more than a steering wheel attendant is not enough to fully engage with the task in hand and is likely the cause of some drivers drifting off into their own little dream worlds or playing with their mobile phones.[/QUOTE]

A lot of really useless drivers take their driving test in an automatic not for any genuine medical reason. but because they simply lack the hand/eye co-ordination to be able to steer a vehicle, control it's speed, change gear, and observe what is going on around them - all at the same time. User9609 is absolutely right - modern cars are dead easy to drive really badly and fast with virtually no effort or road awareness. That encourages people to let their attention drift away from their driving and do dumb things like texting, updating their facebook, reading papers, staring at the laptop they've got open on the passenger seat etc. Driving old vehicles with no idiot-proof features means you have to be really sharp, really on the ball, and concentrating on what you are doing. You have got too many things to co-ordinate to be able to let your attention wander. I drive enough miles to regularly witness the aftermath of high speed motorway shunts where the impact damage is so severe it's obvious the following driver didn't even notice that the vehicle in front had braked and they slammed full-tilt into the back of it. You can easily drive a modern automatic car at 100+ mph with your shoes off just in your socks and with only one finger on the steering wheel. What you can't do is change the laws of physics.

Tim Hall

Failing that, those lights that project a not very visible image of a bike on the road in front of you. I was intruiged by the novelty value* when I first saw them, but now that has worn off there is nothing left but pointlessless.

* They'd receive a brief novelty boost if you could put your own, custom images of rude words and so on in them.
I used a Sadiq Cycle yesterday that, as many of them are, was fitted with frikkin lasers projecting "a not very visible image of a bike on the road in front of you". As I pootled slowly through Borough Market on the shared use bit, I came up behind a bunch of pedestrians. One of them made to side step right, which would put him in my path. I was already covering the brakes anyway, but the not very visible image of a bike was in his field of view. Whether this was what caused him to check his step and not fling himself under my wheels, I don't know , but it's nice to think it might have done.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I used a Sadiq Cycle yesterday that, as many of them are, was fitted with frikkin lasers projecting "a not very visible image of a bike on the road in front of you". As I pootled slowly through Borough Market on the shared use bit, I came up behind a bunch of pedestrians. One of them made to side step right, which would put him in my path. I was already covering the brakes anyway, but the not very visible image of a bike was in his field of view. Whether this was what caused him to check his step and not fling himself under my wheels, I don't know , but it's nice to think it might have done.

Perhaps it was the movement of the image that caught his attention and made him look for its source.

Tim Hall

I take it all back. Far from being pointless, the not very visible images of bikes are very pointy indeed.
I think their point could do with being sharpened.

Here's my invention: Frikkin laser projects an arrow onto the ground in front of you. By the magic of SCIENCE it points the direction you need to go, as you've chosen the docking station that is your destination when you set off.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Head up display navigation glasses are not needed.

A lot of really useless drivers take their driving test in an automatic not for any genuine medical reason. but because they simply lack the hand/eye co-ordination to be able to steer a vehicle, control it's speed, change gear, and observe what is going on around them - all at the same time. User9609 is absolutely right - modern cars are dead easy to drive really badly and fast with virtually no effort or road awareness. That encourages people to let their attention drift away from their driving and do dumb things like texting, updating their facebook, reading papers, staring at the laptop they've got open on the passenger seat etc. Driving old vehicles with no idiot-proof features means you have to be really sharp, really on the ball, and concentrating on what you are doing. You have got too many things to co-ordinate to be able to let your attention wander. I drive enough miles to regularly witness the aftermath of high speed motorway shunts where the impact damage is so severe it's obvious the following driver didn't even notice that the vehicle in front had braked and they slammed full-tilt into the back of it. You can easily drive a modern automatic car at 100+ mph with your shoes off just in your socks and with only one finger on the steering wheel. What you can't do is change the laws of physics.

So when were these halcyon days when drivers weren't killing themselves and other road users in the thousands?

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
You can easily drive a modern automatic car at 100+ mph with your shoes off just in your socks and with only one finger on the steering wheel. What you can't do is change the laws of physics.

That's nothing to do with it being an automatic.

Also, I don't know what some people have against driving without shoes. If anything it gives you better feel of the pedals.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom