Bike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Just discovered my home contents policy will only cover bikes up to £1k and as my trike was £2k it isn't covered. Does anyone have a recommended bike insurer that won't cost the earth?

Chrisz

Über Member
I'd be interested in the answer to this one too :boxing:

Fiona N

Veteran
I gave up insuring trike/bikes with 'bike' insurance i.e. so they're covered away from the house, as it was so expensive. I have small business insurance (as I have a small business) which covers a lot more stuff 'at the office' than usual house insurance but it doesn't cover the trike or bikes while I'm riding them. However, I reckoned the main risk was theft (I am a CTC member BTW so liability/legal etc. are covered) while I was away from the house and the bikes/trikes weren't. This is now covered and I take the risk while I'm riding/touring etc. This basically saves me around £500 a year - so I reckon it's a risk worth taking.

jayce

I had a leaflet in cycling + i think for my bike it was £96 a year didnt take it out though as the bike is impossible to nick from my house and when out dont leave it at all so pointless

spence

Über Member
The usual answer to this is Marks & Spencer. They cover any non specified item up to £4000. This includes bikes, both off the shelf and custom builds. I checked as my full sus is valued at three and half grand.

Photos and bike shop valuation certificate are always a good idea.

jimboalee

I looked into bike insurance.
The policies I read stipulated the purchase of a lock of certain strength.

To claim, it was necessary to prove the lock had been forcibly broken ??:smile: Bikes INSIDE sheds needed to be locked up to the shed's framework !! :smile:

Also, the lock I decided upon weighted 2.5kg. Too much of a penalty to carry on my 7.5kg Spesh. Why buy a light bike if you have to carry a heavy lock around to lock the bike outside a cafe.

I scrapped the insurance idea and 'low & behold', my shed bas burgled and my Carerra Subway 8 went walkies. :smile:

I've got contents insurance with Northern Rock with all risks cover for several bikes. Cost was quite reasonable and they even paid up when the wind caught the garage door and damaged a frame.

Mr P

Auntie Helen, can you get your trike added to your home contents insurance as a named item/bike? I did this, pay a small incremental top-up (£25 iirc for £1500 bike), and have cover for accident and theft away from the home as well (no named-lock restrictions).
When I had an RTA (my fault) and wrote off the bike they paid for a new one no questions asked.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I went through this route initially but they refused to cover it as I used it for a commute and it was worth over £1k.

I think I've decided to buy a stonking lock instead and hope the worst doesn't happen!

e-rider

crappy member
+1 for M&S - this is an old trick so it might be worth double checking that they haven't revised their policy since every cyclist in the country changed their home insurance to M&S!

My home insurance only covers bikes to £500 which wouldn't get anywhere near replacing all three bikes, not even half of one! So I just lock them all up with beefy locks and hope I don't get robbed while I'm out of the house!

Bike policies are an absolute rip-off, usually about £170 per year for a £1000 bike.

Top Bottom