Bike just nicked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
According to Alan Anderson, author of 'The Cycling Miscellany', drop bar bikes are less likey to be stolen than flat bar bikes.
Wonder where he aquired his statistics - ? :whistle: But as there appears to be far more flat bar bikes about now than drop bar, he may well be right simply on the basis of proportion.

Well, mine fits the flat bar category. With my age and accumulated injuries I can only cope with flat bars.
Learning to cope with a bikeless life. Such a bloody pain.
We tried to live a car less life and some scroat has peed all over that. COVID gave the bus company to turn off the bus service.
Up shoot creek and no paddles available!

Bad news is that the Scroat has to find the keys, or wreck the battery mount. Oh, and changing a wheel requires a special tool to do anything with the wheels or saddle.
But I'm still bikeless and stuffed. Oh and in discussion with the insurers.

Me, angry? No of course not, just a model of sweet reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Thanks to everyone who responded with care and commiserations.
Take on the insurance company tomorrow. Previous dealings, when a laptop fell out of the car, were well dealt with.

Hey, ho, onwards and upwards....

Sorry about the theft but I feel you have to expect it these days - especially with a decent looking ebike

I just regard the insurance as part of the locking process

both bikes are secured with Gold standard locks - but I don't expect they are immune to theft

Only sliver lining is that you get to get a new bike!
so - good luck with the insurance - let us know how it goes and which company it is
(I have just got my renewal from mine so I may need some info!!)

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Sorry about the theft but I feel you have to expect it these days - especially with a decent looking ebike

I just regard the insurance as part of the locking process

both bikes are secured with Gold standard locks - but I don't expect they are immune to theft

so - good luck with the insurance - let us know how it goes and which company it is
(I have just got my renewal from mine so I may need some info!!)

Thanks for that.

Big thing for me is what replacement?

The bike was a surprise gift, from my wife, just as lockdown broke out.
Was not what I would have chosen. I spend ages researching and agonise over the choice.
She goes in the shop, it's a bike, has wheels, it's the right colour and she buys it.

So unless the insurers find an identical model, improbable - I've got £2k and start again.
Suggestions at or below budget.
Strong road bike with capacity for touring. Light, simple, strong, >100 km battery range?

D

Deleted member 26715

Strong road bike with capacity for touring. Light, simple, strong, >100 km battery range?

Are not light & battery mutually exclusive? I have a Cube Attention which I like when I get to ride it, (always on loan), lst time I saw them for sale they were around £2.2K up from £1.6K 3 years ago

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thanks for that.

Big thing for me is what replacement?

The bike was a surprise gift, from my wife, just as lockdown broke out.
Was not what I would have chosen. I spend ages researching and agonise over the choice.
She goes in the shop, it's a bike, has wheels, it's the right colour and she buys it.

So unless the insurers find an identical model, improbable - I've got £2k and start again.
Suggestions at or below budget.

We (myself and wife) have recently bought Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL. Very pleased with them, but, a bit over £2K

presta

Guru
According to Alan Anderson, author of 'The Cycling Miscellany', drop bar bikes are less likey to be stolen than flat bar bikes.
Wonder where he aquired his statistics - ? :whistle: But as there appears to be far more flat bar bikes about now than drop bar, he may well be right simply on the basis of proportion.
I like to comfort myself with the thought that bikes that are too big for the majority to ride are less likely to get nicked, but I don't have any evidence.
Money can't buy my bike, it's festooned with bits that are either obsolete or custom made.

november4

A pal has a giant talon he loves, around about your budget

I saw somewhere on youtube there's only one grinder resistant lock, everything else just takes a bit more time

I think they should get their hand cut off with the same angle grinder they use to steal

Who buys all these stolen bikes? Almost as bad as the original crime

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Are not light & battery mutually exclusive? I have a Cube Attention which I like when I get to ride it, (always on loan), lst time I saw them for sale they were around £2.2K up from £1.6K 3 years ago

Interesting to see Cube on the list. I quite fancied them in early research.

simongt

Guru
In the bike 'room' at work, of the dozen or so bikes variously stored there, mine is the only drop bar one. All the rest are MTBs of many guises.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Thanks to everyone who responded with care and commiserations.
Take on the insurance company tomorrow. Previous dealings, when a laptop fell out of the car, were well dealt with.

Hey, ho, onwards and upwards....

Well it looks like I might have a fight on my hands.

Buried in the small print is a clause about where and how I should leave my bike.

Have to get the policy out and read, carefully, very carefully.

tinywheels

Über Member
unfortunately leaving a bike unattended these days is not something I would consider.
In the old days I had a station clunker I left chained for when I got off the train.
eventually it was attacked,prompting me to go folding.
the world has changed and we need to adopt.
I don't leave the brompton out of my sight when stopped. If someone wants it,they have to be prepared to fight for it.
I hope you're insurance pays out.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
unfortunately leaving a bike unattended these days is not something I would consider.
In the old days I had a station clunker I left chained for when I got off the train.
eventually it was attacked,prompting me to go folding.
the world has changed and we need to adopt.
I don't leave the brompton out of my sight when stopped. If someone wants it,they have to be prepared to fight for it.
I hope you're insurance pays out.

Cafe stop once a chap left a £10k ish trek just leaning against a wall out of his sight 😁

There are often 'mountain bikes' left unlocked on the High Street here

and a few others left locked with a cheap cable lock

Never seems to be a problem - but then would I notice? If someone comes along and jumps on a bike and rides off it could be owner or someone just nicked it.

Anyway - if I leave mine there is has a U-lock round a solid thing (tree, cycle locking post) and a thick cable round the wheel and frame - and I don;t go more than a few yards away from it.

Top Bottom