Bike just nicked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
unfortunately leaving a bike unattended these days is not something I would consider.
In the old days I had a station clunker I left chained for when I got off the train.
eventually it was attacked,prompting me to go folding.
the world has changed and we need to adopt.
I don't leave the brompton out of my sight when stopped. If someone wants it,they have to be prepared to fight for it.
I hope you're insurance pays out.

I forgot the key for my home station lock (used to leave the Dlock and cable down there) and I was running late so didn't want to cycle back up to get it, so left my old steel road bike with the cable part of the lock wrapped over the bike but not actually securing it. It was still there when I got home. :okay: It was parked in full view of the mini cab office, who I was on nodding terms with, which may have helped, as well as the undesirability of an old looking bike with toeclips.

Bromptons in London have been known to disappear more quickly than a quick thing

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Well I'm stuffed and in conflict with the insurer. They tell me, on page 48, that my bike should be locked to something permanent (define) whenever it is left.
Well, Ecclesiastical Insurance have put our business relationship in jeopardy. Won't change them, but I might feel better. But still no bike!

tinywheels

Über Member
If someone wanted mine that badly I'd let then have it
I'm working class,raised on a south London council estate. Come and try take it,if your hard enough!
The meek didn't inherit the earth round my Manor,they got a kick in the nads, and their wallet half inched.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 16
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm working class,raised on a south London council estate. Come and try take it,if your hard enough!
The meek didn't inherit the earth round my Manor,they got a kick in the nads, and their wallet half inched.

I'm with you to a degree, but at my age I also know my limitations, so may depend who the miscreant was, but I wouldn't be taking on a 20 year old out of their tree on the latest stuff.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
The finale.

Arrived at a very reasonable, in the circumstances, compromise with the insurers. Just discovering all the kit and odds and ends that went with the. bIke.

The panniers, bags, my helmet, gloves, tool kit, pump, inner tubes, repair kit, sun glasses, cycling jacket, high vis vest and my precious multi tool. I have the blue tooth computer thing but no mount or wheel sensor.

Hey. Ho, I have to "suck it up" and move on...... with a much larger chain and lock!

tinywheels

Über Member
The finale.

Arrived at a very reasonable, in the circumstances, compromise with the insurers. Just discovering all the kit and odds and ends that went with the. bIke.

The panniers, bags, my helmet, gloves, tool kit, pump, inner tubes, repair kit, sun glasses, cycling jacket, high vis vest and my precious multi tool. I have the blue tooth computer thing but no mount or wheel sensor.

Hey. Ho, I have to "suck it up" and move on...... with a much larger chain and lock!

pleased you have a good outcome

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
Honestly and for the record the final outcome was way better than I could have expected.
A replacement bike should be delivered today. Laden with technology to thwart the scroats.
Finding the choice of Hexlox or similar difficult. Anyone got experience to share?

Ordered a humongous ART 3* lock, to compliment the sold secure gold D lock. Just pedalling all that weight around will get me fit.

Because I have now read the small print I know I must lock my bike to a "fixed" object whenever I leave it.
How do we get councils to install more CCTV protected locking points around the place?

I'm over this and moving on, hopefully.

D

Deleted member 26715

How do we get councils to install more CCTV protected locking points around the place?
Offer to fully fund the installation at the overinflated prices that firms charge councils who haven't the gumption or desire to argue about the price after all it's not their money, along with taking a few of the local councillors on fact finding visit to some sunny place to see how they do it over there.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I'm not in a high crime area yet when my lad was a nipper he and his friend leant their bikes outside our front door to come in for a quick drink and when he went out his bike was gone. His friend's bike was still there. The person who took it would have had to come up our drive and out again. We live in a cul de sac.

It was only a Motorworld full suspension BSO but that's not the point. It was his bike and and he felt violated. The house insurance paid up and we bought him a much nicer bike but it seems that the sort of person who would pinch something like that might have an idea of the local candidates who have something similarly easily sellable and portable, and be watching out for an opportunity. Even if someone pinches your knockabout clunker it's not the value but that feeling that some unsalubrious person has intruded into your life for their own benefit, which is just as painful as if you have lost a really valuable bike, and leaves a lasting taint. Mountain bikes, hybrids, ebikes probably for the most part but if the thief knows something about bikes even lightweight drop bar bikes might be on the menu if time, opportunity and the type of lock are within the scrote's capabilities.

You can take all the precautions you like but if someone wants it and the opportunity is there, they will have it. Perhaps a quality bike under a scruffy paint job might make them think twice, or a recumbent that is virtually unrideable by a non aficionado but there are such things as vans.

If out on a highly nickable Brompton you can at least keep it with you, or you can otherwise spoil your experience by carting about some immense lock on your lightweight bike. I think most people have to make a judgement and maybe use a "cafe lock" particularly if they are riding with friends. It's definitely most difficult for those who ride alone, particularly in an urban environment.

It's not a nice way to have to live, but like the price of peace, the price of keeping your bike is eternal vigilance.

OP
OP
Gwylan

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm not in a high crime area yet when my lad was a nipper he and his friend leant their bikes outside our front door to come in for a quick drink and when he went out his bike was gone. His friend's bike was still there. The person who took it would have had to come up our drive and out again. We live in a cul de sac.

It was only a Motorworld full suspension BSO but that's not the point. It was his bike and and he felt violated. The house insurance paid up and we bought him a much nicer bike but it seems that the sort of person who would pinch something like that might have an idea of the local candidates who have something similarly easily sellable and portable, and be watching out for an opportunity. Even if someone pinches your knockabout clunker it's not the value but that feeling that some unsalubrious person has intruded into your life for their own benefit, which is just as painful as if you have lost a really valuable bike, and leaves a lasting taint. Mountain bikes, hybrids, ebikes probably for the most part but if the thief knows something about bikes even lightweight drop bar bikes might be on the menu if time, opportunity and the type of lock are within the scrote's capabilities.

You can take all the precautions you like but if someone wants it and the opportunity is there, they will have it. Perhaps a quality bike under a scruffy paint job might make them think twice, or a recumbent that is virtually unrideable by a non aficionado but there are such things as vans.

If out on a highly nickable Brompton you can at least keep it with you, or you can otherwise spoil your experience by carting about some immense lock on your lightweight bike. I think most people have to make a judgement and maybe use a "cafe lock" particularly if they are riding with friends. It's definitely most difficult for those who ride alone, particularly in an urban environment.

It's not a nice way to have to live, but like the price of peace, the price of keeping your bike is eternal vigilance.

The challenge is page 45 of the insurance policy. Effectively says that when you are out you must lock your bike to something permanent.
Also, if the bike is listed on your policy, because of its value, then it must be locked to something permanent when stored at home.
That means a wheel lock is insufficient and you end up lugging several kilos of chain and CEN padlock. All this after you have spent a lot of money to get the lightest bike you can afford.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The challenge is page 45 of the insurance policy. Effectively says that when you are out you must lock your bike to something permanent.
Also, if the bike is listed on your policy, because of its value, then it must be locked to something permanent when stored at home.
That means a wheel lock is insufficient and you end up lugging several kilos of chain and CEN padlock. All this after you have spent a lot of money to get the lightest bike you can afford.

Same with most policies. Home is OK so long as they are in a secure building.

Fastpedaller

What is permanent though?....... I put my cable lock through the frame and around a gutter downpipe when I stop at the cafe. It could be argued the gutter downpipe isn't permanent, that could also be extended to the cafe it's attached to - nothing made by man is permanent!

Top Bottom