Bike & Kit for a fat bloke, thinking Cannondale Quick CX 4

The Quick 3 as linked by @Cycleops is well worth the extra £100.

One advantage not mentioned already is it has a freehub as opposed to a freewheel - that's how the gear cassette is fixed to the rear wheel.

Freehubs are generally considered to be more reliable.

The bearing load on the axle is more widely spread - handy if the bike is carrying a lot of weight.

You mention tyres, which can have a significant impact on how the bike rides.

Schwalbe on the dearer bike is generally a better make than Kenda.

But bear in mind makers tend to fit what they have to hand, whatever the specs say.

The bike may turn up with something other than what it says in the brochure.

HMS_Dave

I can't offer you much advice but i do wish you all the best with it as im currently in not too much of a different situation myself albeit deciding on 3 wheels rather than a measly 2. Oh it might be worth just having a chat with your doctor if this is the first time back into harder exercise in case he/she has any concerns they may want to check. Im booked in for next week myself.

OP
oBeast

oBeast

I can't offer you much advice but i do wish you all the best with it as im currently in not too much of a different situation myself albeit deciding on 3 wheels rather than a measly 2. Oh it might be worth just having a chat with your doctor if this is the first time back into harder exercise in case he/she has any concerns they may want to check. Im booked in for next week myself.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually in decent shape (no high BP or T2D) for my size (albeit carrying extra weight slows me down a lot) and done multi-day hikes and also have worked out in gyms when living near one. I'm a manual therapist myself and know how to keep my mobility reasonable to avoid injuries (it's just the carbs I have problems with).

Good luck with your efforts. Take one day at a time.

Top Bottom