Bike & Kit for a fat bloke, thinking Cannondale Quick CX 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Quick 3 as linked by @Cycleops is well worth the extra £100.

One advantage not mentioned already is it has a freehub as opposed to a freewheel - that's how the gear cassette is fixed to the rear wheel.

Freehubs are generally considered to be more reliable.

The bearing load on the axle is more widely spread - handy if the bike is carrying a lot of weight.

You mention tyres, which can have a significant impact on how the bike rides.

Schwalbe on the dearer bike is generally a better make than Kenda.

But bear in mind makers tend to fit what they have to hand, whatever the specs say.

The bike may turn up with something other than what it says in the brochure.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I can't offer you much advice but i do wish you all the best with it as im currently in not too much of a different situation myself albeit deciding on 3 wheels rather than a measly 2. Oh it might be worth just having a chat with your doctor if this is the first time back into harder exercise in case he/she has any concerns they may want to check. Im booked in for next week myself.

OP
OP
oBeast

oBeast

I can't offer you much advice but i do wish you all the best with it as im currently in not too much of a different situation myself albeit deciding on 3 wheels rather than a measly 2. Oh it might be worth just having a chat with your doctor if this is the first time back into harder exercise in case he/she has any concerns they may want to check. Im booked in for next week myself.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually in decent shape (no high BP or T2D) for my size (albeit carrying extra weight slows me down a lot) and done multi-day hikes and also have worked out in gyms when living near one. I'm a manual therapist myself and know how to keep my mobility reasonable to avoid injuries (it's just the carbs I have problems with).

Good luck with your efforts. Take one day at a time.

T675Rich

I have a CX4 Quick but the 2019 version and I am a big guy, I like it a lot but I have had a few issues with the bike and to be fair the LBS who sold it.

There was a problem where the gears would keep jumping when I was riding but were always fine on the rack at the lbs, turns out after many visits they finally contacted cannondale and there was an issue with the cable routing thing where the cables came out at the bottom of the frame when under load, it was easy to fix and had been fine since.

I also had and issue with spokes breaking and coming loose on the front wheel on a bike that did very little miles at the time, it took a lot of visits to the LBS to try and get this rectified and it wasn't until the spoke they put in broke they were finally willing to contact Cannondale. Cannondale supplied them with better quality spokes and they rebuilt the wheel and it is fine now.

The cable issue may be sorted in the new model and I may have just had a duff wheel and they have be great since.

I actually put some slightly smoother tyres on mine as the ones supplied were gravel tyres but the supplied ones were fine, you won't need bigger tyres I wouldn't have though.

Here' the link https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-quick-cx-4-2020-hybrid-bike-EV360883

I can go into Evans here in Brighton, but if someone can recommend an indie selling Cannondale in BTN, I can try that too.

Cheers!

That link goes to the CX4 but the description is the CX3 so the specs are slightly lower, for example the brakes are hydraulic not mechanical, or at least they are on the 2019 version that I have.

Top Bottom