Bike lights, which ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeah they seem cool, but I forgot to ask, how many lumens am I looking for?
The 240 lumens of the hope vision 1 seem pretty puny against the 5200 of the ones I put a link to above...
What are your thoughts?

The Hope runs on 4 power levels. Level 2 is fine for road, level 4 will get you annoying drivers. It's bright enough in the pitch black. I have two, and have no issues round country lanes using the high when needed.

5200 lumen is a lie. A T6/U2 puts out about 600-700 lumen on max, about 2.5 times the Hope, but the T6/U2 are way too bright on max for roads, as they are really an off road light - the beam goes everywhere ! You can make the T6 more road friendly by using a diffuser lens and running it on low, and/or ensuring it's pointed down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
so you would suggest something like this T4tomo?

Those little Femto's aren't all that bright, I've been behind one of my clubmates. Have a shuffle at the Moon range of lights !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
so you would suggest something like this T4tomo?
they are good for the price and I think plenty bright for being seen in town, but you need a good supple of CR2032 batteries (which are cheap on ebay like about 12p each)
or try http://www.wiggle.co.uk/light-sets/?ea=4294789644 the hecto, Zecto or Microdrive, a bit more up front cost but rechargeable from a USB.

I'm running a micro upfront at the moment which is replacing a moon crescent which has gone back under warrranty. I thought the moon was brilliant until the switch started playing up - that said the rear one is still fine so i might just have been unlucky, but the Lezyne feels more robust,.

Cameronmu917772

Hi guys.

This is an issue I first had last year while cycling to work at 6am. I'm not one to spend a fortune on lighting as I would say I'm more inclined to time my runs on the road to be home before sunset. Although like all of us I have missed judged it once or twice. They way I combated this was to by a 2500 lumen hand held led torch (£7.99) on eBay along with a bracket you can pick up for under a fiver. As for the rear I also picked up a led strip light for my seat post. (£3.00) Works a treat. The front is bright enough to light the road up and has 4 hours of full power. Always carry the spare battery aswell. And they are rechargeable.

Maybe I'm being silly but all that for around £20.00. Why not

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

Hi guys.

This is an issue I first had last year while cycling to work at 6am. I'm not one to spend a fortune on lighting as I would say I'm more inclined to time my runs on the road to be home before sunset. Although like all of us I have missed judged it once or twice. They way I combated this was to by a 2500 lumen hand held led torch (£7.99) on eBay along with a bracket you can pick up for under a fiver. As for the rear I also picked up a led strip light for my seat post. (£3.00) Works a treat. The front is bright enough to light the road up and has 4 hours of full power. Always carry the spare battery aswell. And they are rechargeable.

Maybe I'm being silly but all that for around £20.00. Why not

Sounds pretty much what i'm after, do you have any links to sites or the ebay listing? (if it's still going that is)

Cameronmu917772

Yeah sure.

These are all the links from eBay.
Rear light UK Safety Cycling BRAND NEW BIKE BICYCLE CYCLE 5 LED Red REAR TAIL LIGHT LAMP UK

Bracket
Bike Cycle Bicycle Torch Mount HOLDER Adjustable Universal LIGHT BRACKET CLIP

Front light
UltraFire 2000Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED ZOOMABLE ZOOM Flashlight Torch +18650 +Charger

The prices vary on eBay for reasons unknown to me but that's all the parts I picked up. Note the front light is from china so I had to wait 8 days befor receiving it in scotland but worth it really. Aswell as that the links are browser URL so most likly won't open on hand held devices. If you require the other links just drop me a line and I will sort it out for you mate.

Cheers Cameron

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Cree are too bright for in town use - more suited to dark country lanes or off road mountain biking. plus reliability is an issue with them

Moon have a good range also the Lezyne femto or micro drive are good rechargeables and worth looking at.
Note: CREE is a company that makes LEDs, LEDs of various sizes, quality and brightness. A light that calls its self a CREE light is just a cheap Chinese light that uses a CREE emitter.

Cameronmu917772

Note: CREE is a company that makes LEDs, LEDs of various sizes, quality and brightness. A light that calls its self a CREE light is just a cheap Chinese light that uses a CREE emitter.

Maybe so my friend. I like to think of it as a cheaper solution. I havnt found any problems and I have had them for around 2 months. I have made sure that the front light is angled towards the ground so I don't blind any of those careful motorist out thare :tongue: and it dose the job as you will recall I only use my lights should I be caught short of light rather than mid night runs. Thanks for the replie though. To me at this point in time I would love to have all the gear I just can't justify a weeks pay for the pro systems and prefer to stay away from the horrible bulky lit sets with wires and battery packs etc

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Maybe so my friend. I like to think of it as a cheaper solution. I havnt found any problems and I have had them for around 2 months. I have made sure that the front light is angled towards the ground so I don't blind any of those careful motorist out thare :tongue: and it dose the job as you will recall I only use my lights should I be caught short of light rather than mid night runs. Thanks for the replie though. To me at this point in time I would love to have all the gear I just can't justify a weeks pay for the pro systems and prefer to stay away from the horrible bulky lit sets with wires and battery packs etc
I wasn't replying to you, hence why I didn't quote your post.

migrantwing

Veteran
I've got these lights. I live in a semi-rural area, so have good street lighting on main roads/dual-carriageways, not so good to poor lighting around the streets, and no lighting on country lanes, and these provide sufficient lighting.

Front: 3 watt (110 lumens) £3.79
Front and Rear: 3 mode Front and Rear silicone wrap-around lights £2.99
Rear: Planet X Rear light £3.99

All this, for just over £10. Anything else is complete overkill, unless you plan on riding through forests at night on an MTB.

Last edited:

mattobrien

Guru
I have been through a process of upgrading my lights recently.

I have got a couple of the cheap cree T6 lights, but the batter has packed up in one, where it has gone off twice while cycling round the local reservoir. Not ideal. I also have got a Cateye TL-LD1100, which is good, but recently played silly buggers and turned itself off 7.5 miles into a 45 mile unlit ride. It worked again by tapping it, but the fault continued and hoping it doesn't go off / checking it constantly isn't great. I have retired this light.

I run with lights on during the day at this time of year so I wanted to get something I could be seen by to replace the rear Cateye and have ended up with an Exposure Flare. It is very bright and I think will do the job. I got it as part of a pack, so it came with a charger and a Flash (front light. The front light will be fine for daytime riding / in poor light conditions, but wont't light the unlit roads.

I have decided to replace the Cree T6 with Exposure lights too, as I have been impressed with how they are made etc. and want something I can put my faith in when riding at night. The T6 is supposed to give plenty of warning of running out, but by the time it tells you it's running low, you have around a minute.

The exposure route might be more expensive, but I want to be seen and to see and have faith in both.

I also light the quick release nature of the exposure brackets, which means the same lights can be used on different bikes. I shall have a pot of spare / redundant lights...

I see rear lights as a safety device and am not going to scrimp on this. I'd rather spend £30 extra and been seen. And you really can't fail to see the Flare when it is going, it is called a Flare for a reason ^_^

jessand

Veteran
I think there's an element of 'you pays your money' here. I've used a torch similar to the one shown for a couple of years commuting in all weathers without mishap. I'm sure there'll be those that aren't so lucky. Would I pay £60 plus for a replacement - no! Would I risk another tenner if mine packed up tomorrow - I think I would. After all it would take 12 years to use £60 at this rate.

wajc

Veteran
Have a look at this website for some really good info on bike lights.

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

Personally I use 2x Hope Vision 1 on my commute. Not because one on its own isn't good enough but I always like to have 2 separate light systems front and back just in case of a light failing.

Hope also have a legendary customer service - though their lights are considered to be more reliable than the cheap Chinese brands anyway.

I've heard stories on forums of a Hope light failing well outside the warranty period. An email/phone call to Hope explaining the problem and the light has been sent off, repaired and returned FOC in a week.

Top Bottom