Bike lights, which ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Budget?

ross cordon

Regular
get one of those cree t6 thingys off e bay , I went for the 3 led model , sooo bright iv been asked to turn it down twice ( both by 4x4 drivers )

Linford

get one of those cree t6 thingys off e bay , I went for the 3 led model , sooo bright iv been asked to turn it down twice ( both by 4x4 drivers )

It isn't that they are so bright, more that they don't have an accurately focussed beam pattern.
I've got both a 4x4 and I use a CREE T6 lamp on my roadie, and I never use the brightest setting when facing oncoming traffic. You need to run it on the lower settin, or point it lower to the road.

You shouldn't have to be told twice by anyone TBH You will be dazzling everyone.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It isn't that they are so bright, more that they don't have an accurately focussed beam pattern.
I've got both a 4x4 and I use a CREE T6 lamp on my roadie, and I never use the brightest setting when facing oncoming traffic. You need to run it on the lower settin, or point it lower to the road.

You shouldn't have to be told twice by anyone TBH You will be dazzling everyone.
Yep, I got one of the C&B seen fresnel lenses to fit my T6 from Amazon for £5, it replaces the standard clear glass & makes for a far better beam pattern for me to see the road and a far more responsible way of not blinding oncoming traffic and low flying aircraft.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
my other lights of choice at the mo are cateye volt series. 300 on the front & 50 on the rear. Good to be able to have a single unit which incorporates a simultaneous solid (mid power) on light with a (high power) pulse. They seem to be well built quick enough on USB charging & decent battery life for the light you get. Bit pricey but I'm hoping for a few years use.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go have a read of the Accessories sub forum, especially the T6 light thread. There is just about every type of light available. I've just bought some commute friendly ones, as well as having some blindingly powerful off road ones.

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

If you want quality, take a look at the Hope Vision 1 or the Moon lights - well within that budget.
Yeah they seem cool, but I forgot to ask, how many lumens am I looking for?
The 240 lumens of the hope vision 1 seem pretty puny against the 5200 of the ones I put a link to above...
What are your thoughts?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cree are too bright for in town use - more suited to dark country lanes or off road mountain biking. plus reliability is an issue with them

Moon have a good range also the Lezyne femto or micro drive are good rechargeables and worth looking at.

Top Bottom