Bike Locks, which locks do you feel safe with?

Would you feel safe in having an alarm on your bike so when it moves it goes off?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A magnum gold standard one. They offer a £1000 payout if the bike is nicked when the lock is securing it. No doubt there's enough small print to stop em ever paying out tho

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
In regards to the alarm. Cars have these alarms and still get nicked. When it comes to stealing the bike, people have done tests to see if people if fact even care. Turns out they dont and will just walk by as a person saws off a lock and in one case even with a mobile chainsaw.

That brings me onto another thing were there is a joke about the police who do nothing about people stealing their bikes.

Man: Police operator, there is a man nicking my bike
P: Sorry but we have no units in the area
M: What do you mean , hes stealing my bike
P: I'm sorry we don't have the resources and no units are in this area.
M: I guess I will have to solve this myself
P: Please don't interfere as you may be hurt
M: Its ok I have a gun, I will just shoot him
P: You have a what?
M: I have a gun. I'm going out side. I'm going to shoot this farker.

4mins later 4 police cars with 2 armed response units turn up outside and get the robber and the man.

Man: I thought you said you had no units in the area.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have to leave my bike outside on a University campus when visiting it. I use an New York Fagh, an ABUS Bordo and a cable lock for the saddle. Its the best locked bike but also the most expensive. Its fortfortunate that the bike stands are insight of the reception.

400bhp

Guru
A local former GB track rider recently had 6 expensive bikes stolen from a locked shed. Each bike was locked to a metal hoop set into the concrete floor of the shed. If they want your bike, they will get your bike!

You could say that about anything Colin.

It's about reducing the likelihood of theft, not removing the likelihood of theft.

I don't enjoy leaving a bike outside. I'm playing squash on monday after work, I'll be on the hybrid and will have 2 d locks but the bike will be outside chained up for the hour I'm inside. I'll still be worried.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could say that about anything Colin.

It's about reducing the likelihood of theft, not removing the likelihood of theft.

I don't enjoy leaving a bike outside. I'm playing squash on monday after work, I'll be on the hybrid and will have 2 d locks but the bike will be outside chained up for the hour I'm inside. I'll still be worried.
If I were going to use a bike for transport and leave it locked up outside, I would either use the cheapest hybrid that I could stand riding, or an old racing bike which was not worth much and I would lock it with a decent lock. Hopefully, the scrotes would consider it not worth the risk and effort of stealing it.

My Cannondale is old hat now, but it cost me £2k to put together at the time and still looks a decent bike. I would not leave that unattended, no matter how good the lock.

If I were going to use a bike for transport and leave it locked up outside, I would either use the cheapest hybrid that I could stand riding, or an old racing bike which was not worth much and I would lock it with a decent lock. Hopefully, the scrotes would consider it not worth the risk and effort of stealing it.

My Cannondale is old hat now, but it cost me £2k to put together at the time and still looks a decent bike. I would not leave that unattended, no matter how good the lock.
That's my approach (I commute on a cheap Viking Fixie)

Top Bottom