Bike Locks, which locks do you feel safe with?

Would you feel safe in having an alarm on your bike so when it moves it goes off?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuardTwin

I know all locks will be broken through if someone is very dedicated on wanting it but I would like some recommendations on what bike locks I should avoid and what ones I should spend on.

The more you spend normally means the better the product so they say, I am wanting to 'invest' in two lock's because the ones I have are not in my comfort zone of trust so I make it very awkward to get to or I try to at least.

I live in the UK so any websites you recommend and company lock names will be great plus some tips on locking if you wish. (Yes I am willing to spend more than a couple of quid which passes stupid locks)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you going to be carrying the locks on the bike, or could you leave them locked up at your destination?

If you don't have to carry them with you then you could just invest in some very heavy duty chains and strong padlocks

OP
OP
GuardTwin

GuardTwin

I would be having them on me but I do not mind a little bit of extra weight as long it is not mental, I always have a bag glued onto me.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Personally, I'm a bit fatalistic about bike theft. If they want it, they will get it, and quickly. I spend about £25 pounds each year on bike insurance, and carry a £30 Gold-rated Sold Secure lock, when I can be bothered ( I resent the weight of it ). At other times, nipping into a shop for a minute or two, I carry a £5 cable lock. Both cover me on my insurance policy. It means I don't have to worry too much if the worse comes to pass.

BTW, Welcome!:welcome:

simon.r

Person
Rightly or wrongly I work on the basis that if it looks good it will deter casual thieves and as you say, if a determined thief wants it they'll get it, so the chunkier the better for me.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
What kind of bike have you got? Where do you plan to leave it?

I don't leave my Brompton anywhere outside. Ever. In 17 years I've never locked a Brompton.
My other folding bike is unattractive to a thief, so I use a £15 cable lock.
I usually ride my solo road bikes with others, so a light cable lock and keeping them in sight works.
I always ride the tandems with someone else, so there's always someone else to mind them - we take it in turns.

In the garage (which is itself locked with decent quality house locks), all the bikes are locked together with three D locks and two cables.

D Lock and Chain

Lighter one to carry with me
Heavy one left where the bike spends most of its time away from home

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Large D-Locks are rubbish, if its big enough to get a bottle jack in you can bust it open in no time.
If you are using a D-lock make sure its small enough that you can't get a bottle jack in.

I use Krytonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1415 and a cable
My bikes are data-tagged and feature GPS trackers

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Large D-Locks are rubbish, if its big enough to get a bottle jack in you can bust it open in no time.
If you are using a D-lock make sure its small enough that you can't get a bottle jack in.

I use Krytonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1415 and a cable
My bikes are data-tagged and feature GPS trackers
Your bikes are also (as I understand it) extremely expensive - the sort of expensive that would make me think twice about leaving them. For a cheapo clunker that sort of security is overkill.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I would only feel safe if there was a device which shot ad killed the nobber trying to steal my bike. However that being said a kyrpotnyte is rather good

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a cafe lock which you could probably get through with scissors and a cable lock you could get through with a decent set of bolt cutters. However my bikes are only not in sight when at home (locked in house) or at work (secure, underground car park) so never particularly worried.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A local former GB track rider recently had 6 expensive bikes stolen from a locked shed. Each bike was locked to a metal hoop set into the concrete floor of the shed. If they want your bike, they will get your bike!

I had my locked bike stolen when I was a teenager.

The only time I leave my bike locked up now is at cafe stops when out with other riders. I try to keep the bike in view all the time if possible. If the worst happens, at least the bike is insured.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I use an English Chains motorcycle chain and lock. I think they are 12mm diameter loops so probably too weighty to carry about efficiently. It's probably overkill as I use it in a swipe card access only shelter at work but gives me full peace of mind. When riding out the bike never leaves me.

Top Bottom