Bike maintenance for idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Sorry if this is already a thread but I couldn't find it.

Do we have a view on what basic maintenance procedures should be done regularly and how to do them?

Also - do people have a view on what the best basic maintenance book is? Seen a few on Amazon with decent reviews but would rather gauge what other people think.

Essentially, I want to learn to be able to maintain and fix my own bike instead of spending hundreds of pounds a year on services.

Sorry if this is a duplicate of a similar thread.

It's all relatively straightforward. What sort of bike? Zinn's us good for road bikes.

compo

Veteran
I had a Haynes Bicycle Book and it was very good. I gave to my mechanically numpty son in law. Pretty much all you need to know can be found online and YouTube so always worth a quick search.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Basic stuff:
Clean and lube drivetrain (once a week unless really mucky conditions). The Mickle method is good :smile:
Check / replace tyres
Check brake pad wear
Check cables for fraying
Re-index gears

More advanced:
Check and readjust headset
Re-grease / replace headset bearings
Re-grease / replace wheel bearings
Replace bottom bracket
Replace cables

It can sound daunting, but the procedures are quite simple, though they will vary slightly depending on what specific components you have.

Drivetrain cleaning 101:
Remove rear wheel and clean the cassette. Spray some WD40 on a cloth and wipe the muck off the teeth, use an old paintbrush to get in between the gears.
Replace wheel and run the chain through a rag to clean the muck off it. Clean the jockey wheels too while you're there.
Put a drop of lube on each chain link and run it backwards gently for a couple of minutes.
Run chain through a clean part of the rag briefly to wipe off excess lube.
Done. Takes 5 minutes with practice :smile:

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Thanks all - youtube sounds like a good option, as usual.

I saw the Zinn book on Amazon, but seems to do road or mountain...mine's a hybrid.

Mike W - that's very helpful indeed, exactly the kind of steer I need...I think even I could do that.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Essentially, I want to learn to be able to maintain and fix my own bike instead of spending hundreds of pounds a year on services.

How many services would you imagine getting a year and at what price each?

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
How many services would you imagine getting a year and at what price each?

2 a year - first one after about 6 months cost around £100 (they did replace the pedals and brakes that came with the bike, basic price was about £60). Full service I think is about £120...plus any parts that need to be replaced - if I can fit new stuff, whilst maintaining, it's bound to save money if done correctly.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I was £60 for a full service, which included a bottom bracket.

It would take me so long to do it wouldn't be worth it!

vickster

Legendary Member
I noticed the OP is in SW London. Richmond cycling campaign offer workshops where you can go along and maintain your bike where someone (a chap called jonathan) can help you. Tools provided, you take your own parts. It's free but you make a donation for the use of the tools and to help keep the service going :smile:

http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/events/maintenance-workshop/

Email them, I'm not sure their events calendar is up to date

maintenance@theturninghub.co.uk

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Serious question with a serious, chin scratching expression...if you maintain your bike to a basic standard and then listen and feel for any other problems, figuring out how to fix them and doing a neat job, do you really need a service? I only ask, because techincally speaking, I'm as broke as a joke.

Serious question with a serious, chin scratching expression...if you maintain your bike to a basic standard and then listen and feel for any other problems, figuring out how to fix them and doing a neat job, do you really need a service? I only ask, because techincally speaking, I'm as broke as a joke.

No! That's what I do and I've not had a service as such for years. I take the view that I service the bike every month. I give it a check over of things I've spotted on the previous weeks clean ups and fix them as they come up.

I've never paid for a 'service' and I've never had a breakdown miles away from home. (YET)

Top Bottom