Bike maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Murgs

Regular
I've just purchased a 1979 Carlton Criterium and though it's in pretty good nick it will inevitably need a good clean up and adjustment/maintenance. As a novice (haven't owned a bike like this since my teens a long time ago), I wonder if anyone here can recommend a good bike maintenance/repair book. I'm by no means useless or incapable but something to help me to do the basics with confidence would be most useful. Also any tips on the best products for cleaning up (the bike!) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I can't recommend any books, but the two websites I find most useful are Sheldon Brown and the Park Tools blog. Sheldon will tell you what everything is and all the different standards and the Park Tools blog will show you how to fix and maintain it.

I like Fenwicks FS1, purely because if you dilute it 10:1 you can use it as a shampoo. I just use an ordinary sponge and one of those washing-up brushes for more stubborn muck; bike floss is great for hard to reach places.

The subject of chain maintenance can be a contentious one (seriously): some people rave about those chain cleaning gadgets, others (myself included) prefer The Method (often referred to as "Mickling" in honour of the the forum's very own Mickle).

compo

Veteran
This is a very good book and will take you through from real basics to fairly advanced maintenance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richards-...0979117009?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2a23322bd1

Published in 1983 so will cover all you are likely to need to do. If buying one of these books check the publication date as there are lots of editions.

Of course as Scilly Suffolk says there is also everything you need to help you online, and a wealth of experience on these forums. We even have a fair few geriatrics who remember these lovely old bikes first time round. :giggle:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks for the link Compo.

I'd not heard of the author, but from the Amazon reviews, this sounds right up my street: I've just bought the 1990 edition for a princely £2.80!

OP
OP
Murgs

Murgs

Regular
Thank you Compo, I have snapped up the 1982 edition on ebay. Can't go far wrong for £2.49 and free postage! I wouldn't yet quite describe myself as a geriatric (at 56!), but I too remember them from the first time round. I had a mid sixties Carlton in my teens which I prized and lavished with affection! I'm hoping the knowledge will come back.

Thank you Scilly Suffolk for the web links. I will bookmark them for future use. Good thing about online maintenance help is video of course. I picked up my 1979 Carlton today. Very excited.

OP
OP
Murgs

Murgs

Regular
Good idea. I will try to post one of the Criterium, as bought, when I get a moment. Not sure about an 'after' photo .....you might not be able to tell the difference! We'll see.

OP
OP
Murgs

Murgs

Regular
Posting some photos of the Criterium as bought. Glad to know what you think. Any tips for the best way of dealing with the rust patches on the frame, especially noticeable on the rear forks would be much appreciated.
photostream
photostream
photostream
photostream

Hmm, not sure if those links will work or not. Any tips? Maybe this is better http://www.flickr.com/photos/87696597@N04/

compo

Veteran
Nice bike!
You have to decide if you are going to respray the frame or try and find a matching colour to allow you patch in the rusty bits after preparing the surface. You are unlikely to get a perfect match so possibly a respray or paint job could be the best way to go. Doing a total strip of the bike will also allow you to see how it all fits together and then reassemble with new bearings, and cables etc.

OP
OP
Murgs

Murgs

Regular
I think for the time being (taking my abilities in to account!) I'll be going for a clean up and derust with as much stripping down as I can manage ....one step at a time. The I'll see where we're at. I'm hoping the bike will still look good without a full respray.

Top Bottom