bike making bad noise :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
the noise is similar to the sound a coke can makes when crushed, and seems to be coming from the BB area although it is hard to tell with these things. i had the cranks off last night and the bearings in the BB are fine, cleaned everything up and refitted cranks for a test ride this morning but the noise persists. i'm not really sure what elsen to check for, the noise only happens when i'm out of the saddle and it doesn't feel 'smooth' to pedal?? :smile:

help please! tia ;)

beatleandrew

Have you checked your pedals as well?

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
yes and they seem fine too, scary thing is that both BB and pedals were new on last week...

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
thanks andrew, seems to be sorted now, bb not done up tight enough so had worked lose...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
As you know, my bikes all exhibit a high degree of musicality, but here's my normal order of events when something new comes along:

1. Lube your cleat mechs. Nasty creaks and scrunk noises abate.
  2. Check BB is lubed. Freak out a bit if it wasn't.
  3. Put it in a turbo and get a spotter to help you isolate the source. (I've had handlebars creak when my ears would swear was the right hand pedal)
  4. Check the frame / bars over for potential cracks.
  5. Read this page
  6. Ignore it when something louder takes my attention.

Oops. Solved before I got around to hitting submit ;)

nigelb

I'm pleased to read this thread.

I thought that it was just me over-reacting, always wanting to track down any noise from the bike.

I was listening to starting crank noises last week, trying to convince myself it was only the pedals, when both pedals started grinding. Replaced pedals, I'm now listening to the crank noise again :-(

Think I'll try replacing it myself (Claud Butler San Remo) if I can work out what part I need as a replacement, and if I screw up take the bits to the lbs for a re-assemble and fix jobbie.

Nige

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to own a 22 year old Land Rover 90, which had a whole repertoire of creaks, rattles, groans, bonks and clatters. The official Land Rover doctrine on noise is: "continue driving the vehicle until the noise becomes unbearable for the operator. At this point consider an overhaul".

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
beatleandrew said:
Glad you sorted it. See you Friday then?

i'm afraid not mate, i decided that 65 quid for train tickets just to do a crit was a bit steep really so will stay up here and bury myself for two days ;)

Top Bottom