Bike mechanic's help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrisman

I have been told that i cant use a campagnolo cassette with a shimano tiagra crank. But my mechanic says my 9 speed cassette with an 9 speed chain on my tiagra's crank will work ok ?????????

I thought campag and shimano cassette/chain weren't compatibles also am led to believe that SRAM and shimano are - ill probably be corrected soon on here though.

Re the 9-speed cassette n chain, is this the campag and shimano chain you are referring to or a shimano/shimano set?
Sorry, it's just not clear in your post.

R600

Über Member
you can use shimano chainset with campag cassette without any problem. the problem when mixing shimano and campag comes when you try to mix gear shifters

gbb

Legendary Member
My shifters are shimano...
In simple terms you cant use a Campag cassette with Shimano shifters.
The length of cable pull with each shift is different between Shimano and Campag, so the spacing between cogs is different.
You can however use any 9 speed chainset, Campag on Shimano, Shimano on Campag because the distance between the chain sideplates is the same...so the chainrings are the same thickness.

OP
OP
Harrisman

Harrisman

In simple terms you cant use a Campag cassette with Shimano shifters.
The length of cable pull with each shift is different between Shimano and Campag, so the spacing between cogs is different.
You can however use any 9 speed chainset, Campag on Shimano, Shimano on Campag because the distance between the chain sideplates is the same...so the chainrings are the same thickness.
Does that mean my campag cassette. Wont work with my shimano crank chain and shifters ?????

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
didn't you already ask this question twice yesterday..??
Yes he did - and all the correct advice has been given.
Harrisman - if your bike mechanic knows better why not let him fit the wheel and cassette to your bike and see what happens? IF it works please come back to the forum and let us know.

Does that mean my campag cassette. Wont work with my shimano crank chain and shifters ?????

yesterday, I told you that you would need a new shimano freehub to replace the campag one currently fitted to your wheels. What has changed since then..??

BTW - forget about the Tiagra crankset - it is totally irrelevant.

OP
OP
Harrisman

Harrisman

yesterday, I told you that you would need a new shimano freehub to replace the campag one currently fitted to your wheels. What has changed since then..??

BTW - forget about the Tiagra crankset - it is totally irrelevant.
I told my mechanic what you said. and he said to leave the campag free hub. and put a campag cassette on it. and it will work ok. as hes done this before. I am only wanting to get it right. i dont want to waste anymore money

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I told my mechanic what you said. and he said to leave the campag free hub. and put a campag cassette on it. and it will work ok. as hes done this before. I am only wanting to get it right. i dont want to waste anymore money
I assume he will give you your money back if it doesn't work - let us know.

9sp shimano shifters will work with a 9sp campag cassette providing you use a shift-mate or similar conversion device, but that isn't what you asked yesterday. You asked if your campag freehub could be swapped for a shimano item - and I said it could.

I would just leave all this to your mechanic - he seems to know what he is doing and in the meantime you just seem to be confusing the issue.

OP
OP
Harrisman

Harrisman

9sp shimano shifters will work with a 9sp campag cassette providing you use a shift-mate or similar conversion device, but that isn't what you asked yesterday. You asked if your campag freehub could be swapped for a shimano item - and I said it could.

I would just leave all this to your mechanic - he seems to know what he is doing and in the meantime you just seem to be confusing the issue.
yes i know what i asked. and your answer was good. but when i told my mechanic. he said to leave the hub and change the cassette. as i bought a shimano cassette because the lad that sold me the wheels told me it was a shimano hub. But its a campagnolo hub. and as the rest of my bike's shimano. so i thought put a shimano freehub on. but my mechinic said no use canpagnolo cassette. are you still confused.

Top Bottom