Bike Nav Recommendations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I assume the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam is discounted because no touch-screen? There are plenty who don't like touchscreens on such devices as they can be temperamental in wet conditions. The Roam is sort of touchscreen by proxy, since you can interact with it through a connected smartphone (as well as through the physical buttons on the device.

si_c

Guru
I had a Mio 505 which was fantastic, best navigation hands down. Battery life was only OK and definitely needed charging at cafe stops on longer rides.

Not used the newer 210, but I'd probably go for the Edge Explore as the ecosystem is a lot better. My Dad has one and I really like it.

OP
OP
Harril

Harril

Not sure how serious you are on the solar charging, but even in touring mode with a large 3 panel charger on the back rack I wouldn't depend on it. Admittedly, this was a few years ago and tech has improved.

A dynohub is useful, but that will require a converter. Also, check if the unit is compatible with hub charging. Several years ago (so may be out of date) Garmin only supported one (rare & expensive) converter. Garmin units, especially, don't play well with hub charging, from what I've seen. A problem that can be solved by using a powerbank.

However, most gps units have more than enough power for daily rides.

Yes, I looked into a couple of solutions: Goal Zero Nomad 5 Solar Panel or the Biolite Solar panel 10, but these seemed a bit cumbersome. So i looked into this: Trimm One

Regarding Dynohubs, This looks like a very useful piece of kit: Dynohub

I've contemplated the issue of powering devices(Chromebook, Bike Nav, Phone and camera) on a multi-day tour and it seems there isn't really an ideal/easy solution.

Yes, I looked into a couple of solutions: Goal Zero Nomad 5 Solar Panel or the Biolite Solar panel 10, but these seemed a bit cumbersome. So i looked into this: Trimm One

Regarding Dynohubs, This looks like a very useful piece of kit: Dynohub

I've contemplated the issue of powering devices(Chromebook, Bike Nav, Phone and camera) on a multi-day tour and it seems there isn't really an ideal/easy solution.
That's a very different kettle of fish if you're talking about Touring!

I use a solar panel and a dynohub on long tours. The solar panel is for when I'm off the bike (I tend to stop a lot^_^) and is quite effective when stationary and well aligned.

The dynohub is to charge one of 2 powerbanks. The powerbank will be used to charge a phone, a kindle, possibly a tablet, possibly an i-pod and rechargeable batteries for lights and camera.

The problem with such a system is that it is inefficient (power is lost at each stage), but it works. I do not charge any device other than my Wahoo from the hub. I also minimise my power usage.

A chromebook, though, will likely require a large powerbank, if at all. When I researched this (a few years ago) there were only a handful of chromebooks that could be charged by USB.

On a 3 week trip from NL to Ireland and back I left on a full charge and only used my hub to recharge.

The reality is that for a lot of people on-bike charging is nice to have, not essential. Power banks can do just as good a job if your style is more .... "civilised" ^_^

Back to your original question, a gps unit, if it is for touring I would check very carefully on battery life and charge time. 8 hours to charge for 10 hours use? That's a no-no for touring in my book.

There's a lot of info on these boards about this subject. Use the search function and have a good read. I'd suggest trying to get a "big picture" view of the whole setup.
A phone and a camera? Most of my photos are taken on my phone. My camera barely gets used so battery life is hardly an issue.

Good luck!

Top Bottom