Bike on train Prestwick - Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyRider76

Hi, hope this is an appropriate forum. Does anyone have experience of taking a bike on the train from Prestwick to Glasgow Central? The ScotRail website doesn't allow you to make the reservation online (this is what I normally do on Scottish trains). I want to travel sometime in the middle of the day on a Sunday so not commuter time. I tried phoning the number on their website but got through to a central enquiries place who couldn't answer. Thanks!

Hi, hope this is an appropriate forum. Does anyone have experience of taking a bike on the train from Prestwick to Glasgow Central? The ScotRail website doesn't allow you to make the reservation online (this is what I normally do on Scottish trains). I want to travel sometime in the middle of the day on a Sunday so not commuter time. I tried phoning the number on their website but got through to a central enquiries place who couldn't answer. Thanks!
Hi, you won't have an issue getting the bike on this train. Trains that run on this line don't need reservations. I don't even think it's possible to do so.

I've seen at least a dozen bikes on the train to Ardrossan before (for day trippers to Arran) with no issue, it's another branch of the same line. I don't think I've ever seen more than three bikes on the Prestwick branch.

bruce1530

Guru
Plenty of space on those trains for bikes - there’s one designated “bike storage area” on each 3 or 4 coach unit, which can take half a dozen or so, and it’s common to see plenty more near the doors on the “non-platform” side. And many trains will be 7 coaches, so twice as much space. I travel on that line every day, the only time I’ve seen trouble getting a bike on has been at rush hour on a weekday.

One word of caution - when are you travelling? There’s currently engineering work on that line on Sundays until end Feb, so a rail replacement bus - which maybe can’t take bikes.

bruce1530

Guru
Are you flying into Prestwick airport? If so, show your airline ticket on the train and you should get a 50% discount on the rail fare.

Top Bottom