Bike positioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally got a photo of me "cycling", taken at the recent Skoda sponsored London 100 training event. Does anyone have any comments on my position on the bike and any ways it could be improved. I'm not expert on this so all suggestions welcome.

Just bear in mind I'm a broad-ish short arse bloke and won't be able to do much about that with 6 weeks to go to the actual thing!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Pass the magnifying glass!

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Here's the full image! Beware it carries a government approved health warning bit on the plus side you can't see much of the face!! :laugh:

Attachments

• skoda_ride_9.jpg
    skoda_ride_9.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 112

amaferanga

Veteran
It's hard to get a proper idea of position from a single static pic, but I'd say your position looks ok. For long rides what matters more is comfort over looks though so is your bike comfortable on longer rides?

You need to remove that dork disk from behind the cassette though.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Yep - I can ride in that position (after various minor tweeks) for 100+ miles without issue. I don't tend to have people photographing me - didn't even know this guy was here - but as I have the photo thought I'd ask the question.

The disk will get removed very shortly!! ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was about to say that from what we can see of your left leg, the saddle might be a little high! Have you tried the heel test?

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
I was about to say that from what we can see of your left leg, the saddle might be a little high! Have you tried the heel test?
Which is? I can put my heel level with the sole of my foot at the pedals lowest point without extending the hip, if that's it?

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Aches and pain I do occassionally get are 1) my right toe (suspect it might have been broken at some point) - I can feel the outline of my cleat even through the carbon sole. I'm tempted to add some inner soles to try and alleivate that; 2) stiff shoulders from being on the drops (have recently tried to spend more time in that position so I've assumed it's just a case of conditioning) and 3) occassional numb hands (think that's from gripping the hoods too hard and I can elminiate that my riding with my forearms on the bar tops for 30 seconds or so).

With the toes, it could be something as simple as cleat position but be careful if you are not experiencing knee problems at the moment you don't want to change them on a whim.
Numb hands for me are weird as I can cycle longer and they're not an issue but on a shorter ride; I could easily be wrong but I think my body is diverting blood to where its more needed. I think thats the same with occasional niggles that come up elsewhere, they never consistently seem to repeat themself and it may just be my mind playing tricks on me.
Early doors stiff shoulders seemed to be caused by wearing a peak on the helmet and needing to shift my head up further to see (especially on the drops) but over time with my core getting stronger and removing the peak I don't have that issue. Cycled 145 miles on Saturday then 160miles on Sunday without issue. After last nights H&H though, a short 36miles I'm knackered.
I too like to change my position on a bike, standing up, sitting up hands on the flats/hoods/drops etc.

Top Bottom