Bike pump options....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I have CO2 on my Audax bike. I use a Planet Bike Red Zepplin CO2 inflator but I do back it up with a Lezyne Road Drive. On my commuter I have one of the pumps you linked to. I find the micro floor drive easier to use. The guage is handy. With both pumps having the hose is just fantastic. Seriously reduces the chances of breaking a valve.

For me either pump, well a Lezyne with a hose is the only way I would go for a pump now.

Andrew

Edge705

Ok i've had a couple of punctures and had trouble with my terrible on-bike pump. I'm weighing up the options now do i go for a co2 pump or something like this....

http://road.cc/content/review/9073-lezyne-micro-floor-drive-hp-mini-pump

any opinions?

andy

Depends on how hard you want your tyres and how quick you want them pumping up - I changed to co2 a few years ago and Ive gone through a dozen catridges in that time - Puntures tend to be few and far between I mean you get a few all in one go or you go ages without getting one - based on my puncture count roughly 1 every 8-900 miles I figured CO2 is just fine as well as being very handy and tucked away - I figured if I was on a long ride and I used my cannisters up with a few punctures I would head for a town and subsequent shop or juts flag a passing cyclist down and use their pump.

So in short for speed and rock hard tyres use CO2 otherwise get a pump. BTW Ive tried these so called zupped up hand pump types and Ive yet to use one that gets a 23mm rock hard and certainly not in the 15 seconds it takes a co2 cartridge. BTW you only need a head and threaded co2's you dont need to buy a whole co2 pump wich encapsulates the cannister.

each to their own I guess just IMO

pkeenan

Über Member
My Topeak Road Morph is *the* pump I never leave the house without (unless I'm not on a bike). It get's a high psi (and the gauge is actually accurate) and it's very easy to use. Not too heavy either.
I'm sure there are similarly good pumps on the market - though I've no experience of them. I have had lots of experience of crappy pumps - this is not one of them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another vote for the Lezyne Road Drive. There is a nifty frame mount that you can bolt onto the bottle cage mounts while still keeping the cage. It's beautifully engineered as well.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm on the look out for a new pump since its foot pedal sheared off, leaving me with a pogo pump! I've had my eye on a Topeak Road Morph but hadn't come across the Lezyne one till now. I've just had a quick look for one but it seems like the reviewed model has been discontinued and the newer ones only go up to 90psi, weigh pretty much the same as the Topeak and are slightly more expensive. Though I haven't got one, I prefer the thought that if I'm going to carry a pump around with me, it may as well be one that will inflate beyond 90psi. Topeak quote 160psi which may be psi in the sky but I'd guess it will easily get up to 110/120.

I've just had a quick look for one but it seems like the reviewed model has been discontinued and the newer ones only go up to 90psi, weigh pretty much the same as the Topeak and are slightly more expensive.

I have a Micro Floor Drive which is similar to the one reviewed (mine has a guage) and it is rated to 160 psi so not sure where you are getting the 90 psi from but I have no problems reaching 100 to 110 psi with mine.

micro_floor_drive_hv_hvg_l.png

Andrew

OP
OP
teletext45

teletext45

I've ended up getting a Lenzyne Road drive. Compact with up to 160 psi. It was recommended by the guy in the shop as a more compact alternative to the micro floor drive. I was a bit taken back when i managed to pump my tyre up to 80 psi without much effort at all. Doesn't have a guage but i can get an adapter lead which does.

BigTam

Über Member
I have a Micro Floor Drive which is similar to the one reviewed (mine has a guage) and it is rated to 160 psi so not sure where you are getting the 90 psi from but I have no problems reaching 100 to 110 psi with mine.

micro_floor_drive_hv_hvg_l.png

Andrew

I have one of these, the dogs dangly bits, best pump I have ever been able to carry.

Top Bottom