Bike purchase quandary..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
LemonCowboy

LemonCowboy

Thanks for the input everyone!

After doing some digging I think I may have found a winner.. The Rose Pro SL2000.

Does anyone else have a Rose bike? Similar to Ribble re the online service and bike builder.. Only better reviews and seemingly outstanding customer service from what I can gather!

annirak

Veteran
My first road bike was a Vitus Razor. It has a Claris groupset and a carbon fork. The frame is... budget. It's aluminium, sure, but not formed at all, and the welds are hideous. Now, since the frame is what it is, no matter what components I put on it, it will still feel like that frame. I've got new wheels on it now (Campy Khamsin G3) and I can feel a little difference with those, but not a lot. I put Michelin Pro 4 SC tyres on it, but that was more about durability than performance.

What I plan on next time? Buy the lowest component spec I can on the best frame I can get. Then get a nice groupset when there's an appropriate sale, good ebay bargain, etc.

annirak

Veteran
Thanks for the input everyone!

After doing some digging I think I may have found a winner.. The Rose Pro SL2000.

Does anyone else have a Rose bike? Similar to Ribble re the online service and bike builder.. Only better reviews and seemingly outstanding customer service from what I can gather!
The problem with rose is the same as the problem with Ribble, Canyon, or any other of the online vendors. You can't see how it feels before you buy it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Annirak is wise. I was on course for a Ribble when a lad at work in another department turned up on one. He's a similar height to me a d agreed to lend it me for a few hours.

Bloody good thing he did, as I discovered the problems with frame flex for a chap of my lardiness/power (the owner is lighter than me with a much lighter musculature and hadn't had a problem). Had I brought blind I'd have been stuffed, and it's a lesson I've learned well - no ridee, no buyee for this middle aged feller.

Kbrook

Veteran
I have the Rose pro sl 3000. I absolutely love it, more so than my carbon bike. It is amazing vfm, and looks great in anodized black. The sl2000 will be just as good as the only difference is 105 as opposed to Ultegra.
Any questions ask away
Here is mine. Depending where in Yorkshire you live you can see/try mine, I'm not far from Skipton.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
LemonCowboy

LemonCowboy

KBrook - that's a gorgeous machine! I actually cycle past Skipton on my weekend rides up through Otley, Ilkley, past Bolton Abbey and up past there! I looked at the sl3000 but for where I am at the 105 suits me down to the ground for cost and performance. I'd definitely get the anodized black too.
What size is yours? I'd be looking at at 53cm.

Kbrook

Veteran
It's a 59, the only thing I've changed is the saddle. The bike I bought was one of their showroom bikes which I bought at a discount and saved me the waiting time. It came with a Selle Italia sls which is rock hard, I wasn't sure about the wheel when I ordered because they are not the standard Aksiums but are their own rims with Ultegra hubs and lots of spokes. But I really like them.
Are you aware that on the sl2000 you can't change the spec like you used to be able to, you have to have it as it comes, so you can't change the saddle, wheels, seatpost etc. You can however decide which way round you want the brakes and what position you want the stem fitted.

OP
OP
LemonCowboy

LemonCowboy

Ha and I thought I just couldn't figure out how their site worked! I've been trying to change the wheels and saddle but couldnt find this 'wrench' icon they mention in the bike builder section..

OP
OP
LemonCowboy

LemonCowboy

Out of curiosity, how tall are you to take a 59?

gbb

Legendary Member
Annirak is wise. I was on course for a Ribble when a lad at work in another department turned up on one. He's a similar height to me a d agreed to lend it me for a few hours.

Bloody good thing he did, as I discovered the problems with frame flex for a chap of my lardiness/power (the owner is lighter than me with a much lighter musculature and hadn't had a problem). Had I brought blind I'd have been stuffed, and it's a lesson I've learned well - no ridee, no buyee for this middle aged feller.

Yebbut, that depends entirely on the specific frame and perhaps the wheels. Some of Ribbles bikes are fine, some obviously are not.
Ribble Sportive racing, carbon frame...is definitely not flexy, ive never detected a hint of it.
Where I have detected flex is in my old Bianchi, that flexed when you got out the saddle, so much so the frame broke after 2 years.
Also, despite my recommending them, Shimano R500s are flexy when youre out the saddle, the wheel magnet strikes the forks, you know its happening.

Ribble don't exclusively make/sell frames that flex....almost any manufacturer will have a frame in their range that leaves a little to be desired.

bpsmith

Veteran
Yebbut, that depends entirely on the specific frame and perhaps the wheels. Some of Ribbles bikes are fine, some obviously are not.
Ribble Sportive racing, carbon frame...is definitely not flexy, ive never detected a hint of it.
Where I have detected flex is in my old Bianchi, that flexed when you got out the saddle, so much so the frame broke after 2 years.
Also, despite my recommending them, Shimano R500s are flexy when youre out the saddle, the wheel magnet strikes the forks, you know its happening.

Ribble don't exclusively make/sell frames that flex....almost any manufacturer will have a frame in their range that leaves a little to be desired.
Which model Bianchi did you have and how old? My Carbon Sempre Pro has zero flex in it. Surprised by your comment tbh.

gbb

Legendary Member
Which model Bianchi did you have and how old? My Carbon Sempre Pro has zero flex in it. Surprised by your comment tbh.
It was the Via Nirone but a PRE C2C model, possibly mid 2000s, alloy frame but not formed alloy, just straight tubes. When you got out the saddle, it made the chain rings strike the derailleur and give a grinding sound. Eventually it cracked right round the bottom of the BB welds.
It certainly didn't put me off Bianchis, my next bike was..a Bianchi.

bpsmith

Veteran
It was the Via Nirone but a PRE C2C model, possibly mid 2000s, alloy frame but not formed alloy, just straight tubes. When you got out the saddle, it made the chain rings strike the derailleur and give a grinding sound. Eventually it cracked right round the bottom of the BB welds.
It certainly didn't put me off Bianchis, my next bike was..a Bianchi.
You were commenting about the Ribble carbon frames and then moved on to the Bianchi and I made the assumption that it was also Carbon. Hence the question. Interesting about the Via Nirone though. I guess frames have moved on loads since.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
You were commenting about the Ribble carbon frames and then moved on to the Bianchi and I made the assumption that it was also Carbon. Hence the question. Interesting about the Via Nirone though. I guess frames have moved on loads since.
No, sorry, I was just highlighting the fact that just because one model is flexy, it shouldn't condemn the entire manufacturers range.
Even then, I don't think the early Via Nirones had a particular name for being flexy, I do wonder if mine perhaps had a poor weld inthe BB area. Reading the internet, I didnt find anyone else had particular problems.

bpsmith

Veteran
No, sorry, I was just highlighting the fact that just because one model is flexy, it shouldn't condemn the entire manufacturers range.
Even then, I don't think the early Via Nirones had a particular name for being flexy, I do wonder if mine perhaps had a poor weld inthe BB area. Reading the internet, I didnt find anyone else had particular problems.
It was my mistake, not yours. Does indeed sound like a poor weld maybe. Never heard of that much flex in BB from them. Not good though.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom