Bike purchase question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mmm. Looking into this further a bike built around the Kinesis Racelight T or TK frame might be a possibility. Probably the T to keep the price down, but it does sound quite good. It would have to be built around tiagra though as a 105 build would probably take the price up too much.

P.S. Crackle my large chainring was actually a 48 (it was cold and damp outside and I had had a couple of wines when I originally checked!). :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

P.S. here is my approx gearing ratios. I've actually got 8 instead of 9 gears but the range is the same.

:biggrin:

Ta Crackle!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Looks like I will have Thursday morning off to go bike shopping. Billy Bilslands will be my first stop. I wonder what I'll end up with...:rolleyes:

magnatom said:
P.S. Crackle my large chainring was actually a 48 (it was cold and damp outside and I had had a couple of wines when I originally checked!). ;)

:girl: You're doing this deliberately. It's some kind of disinformation routine to disguise your true speed and fitness.

Have you put your proposed gearing and compared? Is it useful/does it make sense?

Kinesis sounds good. i liked them from when BoaB was looking at them.

Don't forget to look for Millars jersey on the wall.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
:biggrin: You're doing this deliberately. It's some kind of disinformation routine to disguise your true speed and fitness.

Have you put your proposed gearing and compared? Is it useful/does it make sense?

Kinesis sounds good. i liked them from when BoaB was looking at them.

Don't forget to look for Millars jersey on the wall.

:biggrin:

Aye, just keeping you on your toes. Yes I am really quite swayed by the Kinesis. Of course it has to fit and feel right, so I will need a test ride at some point. I'll pop along on Thursday and see what they say and see what they suggest.

Yes I have been looking at gearing. I don't have the details handy, but your spreadsheet has helped to clarify it for me. Many thanks.

I will keep you informed....:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my question relates to the gearing that was discussed here at length!

My Racelight Tk which I finally bought (which I am loving!) was a good bargain. The shop I bought it from had some spare ultegra kit left over from a sale, where the buyer didn't want the ultegra kit (just the frame). That meant I could get the bike with some ultegra kit on it for a good price. Brill. In my excitement, I forgot to check the gearing, and as crackle so kindly pointed out to me a 50-39/36 with a 11-27 cassette would be the sort of combination that would suit.

I noticed on my commute that I was hitting the limit of my gearing on occasions. Climbing out of the Clyde tunnel, I would have one cog left as a spare, now I don't. Upon checking it would appear that my cassette is the 11-23 version (50-34 upfront). I'm just a little concerned that on a longer hillier route I will be struggling. Should I be looking to change the cassette? Would a 12-25 or a 12-27 suit me better perhaps (or make a noticeable difference). I don't expect I will use my 11 teeth cog very often!!

Hmmm. Would it be easy enough to sell a slightly used cassette second hand?

therams

I am having similar thoughts about my Allez Sport, 50-34 and 11-25. The 11 seems like a wasted gear to me, as its not really usable on the inner 34 ring and I never go anywhere near fast enough to get to it on the outer 50 ring.

I was thinking of switching to a 12-28, but cant seem to find one anywhere. I like the idea of having gears to spare on long climbs.

So the Clyde tunnel is what a 6% hill and you are now using you're 34x23. A 25 won't make enough difference, so I'd say a 27, which should serve you up 10% hills. You'll have to grit your teeth on steeper one's but then again a day ride is different to a commute.

How happy are you with the current gear spacing. Do you like the closer gears or are you often changing two gears at a time. If the latter the wider spacing may be better, if the former maybe the 25 and accept you will need to gain some climbing fitness for longer rides.

Looking at my gear chart I'd say 12-27. You also have the option of changing the inner to a lower one, though I'm not sure about how much lower as the front derailleur may have a jump limit (It'll tell you in the manual).

Anyway a 34x27 is only two inches above my lowest triple gear at 30x25. Don't judge your gearing completely on a commute, it's a different feel to a ride out.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks Crackle. I am planning on taking it a longer ride next week (off on annual leave), so it will be a good test (up and over the Erskine Bridge for example ;)). I've had a cold, and I carry a reasonable amount of gear in my rucksack on the commute. So a ride with little to carry should be a good test (18 miles going by bikely, though if I'm enjoying it I could extend it).

I do think a 12-27 might be the way to go, though...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle, just thought I'd point out I'm not a complete girls blouse! You are right that the main part of the tunnel is about 6% incline, however, the cycle lane actually sits below the car lane and so we have extra climbing to do, so near the top you have a winding section that is steeper than the main tunnel. I have no idea how much the incline here is, but I'd reckon it is a good few percent steeper than 6%.

I've came across a good few cyclists who have got off and walked! :biggrin:

magnatom said:
Crackle, just thought I'd point out I'm not a complete girls blouse! You are right that the main part of the tunnel is about 6% incline, however, the cycle lane actually sits below the car lane and so we have extra climbing to do, so near the top you have a winding section that is steeper than the main tunnel. I have no idea how much the incline here is, but I'd reckon it is a good few percent steeper than 6%.

I've came across a good few cyclists who have got off and walked! :biggrin:

:smile: I was wondering that. It might be closer to 10% then, in which case being near your lowest gear is OK by me (we're all different though). Whatever it is, it's a good climb by the sounds of it so it is a good judge of where you should pitch your main low gear. A few in reserve is good.

Like I said though, don't use it as your sole judge. I might be down on my lowest gears for a long 10% yet on a short 20% still have some in reserve, it doesn't logically follow that if you use one gear for a 10% you need to use an order lower for a 20%. It all depends on terrain, weather, length etc... If you've got gears around 30" that will serve you for most purposes unladen, touring is different.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hopefully, weather permitting (and it doesn't look too good at the moment) I'll get out for a long ride next week. I'll let you know how I get on.

Top Bottom