Bike purchase question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
magnatom said:
LOL! I really am causing problems aren't I! :ohmy:

I went out and had a quick tooth count, remembering it is cold out, pretty dark and my bike is manky at the moment (and I'm in my nice clothes, so I might be out a little) but I think I have 56/38/28 (might be 55/38/28). On the cassette the largest I have is 28 and the smallest 11.

I promise to go away after this!:biggrin:

I'd be surprise if the big rings a 56, my Ridgeback is only a 48, the Bianchi is a 50 and the Sirrus is a 52. You probably get bigger but I've never commonly heard of bigger than a 53.

magnatom said:
LOL! I really am causing problems aren't I! :laugh:

I went out and had a quick tooth count, remembering it is cold out, pretty dark and my bike is manky at the moment (and I'm in my nice clothes, so I might be out a little) but I think I have 56/38/28 (might be 55/38/28). On the cassette the largest I have is 28 and the smallest 11.

I promise to go away after this!:biggrin:

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhh! I've been using the wrong feckin wheel size in my chart, someone shoot me. It's the Maggers influence I tell ye :biggrin:

Right, you're normal. Well in gear terms anyway :ohmy: You're using a 72" to 40" gear range to bomb along at 16 to 18mph on the flat. Your low is similiar to a roadbike low. So a 50-39-30 with a 11-25 or 11-27 would be perfect or a double 50-39/36 with a 11-27 would be OK (a compact) but not quite offer you as many gears. Anything above a 50 front chainwheel is going to limit your usable gears and you need an inner of at least a 39, preferrably lower to give you more gears on hills. Don't go for a heroic 52-42 (do they still do that combo?).

Phew! I can rest easy now and you should make yourself a brew for going out in the cold.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Yippee! :ohmy: Ta Crackle and everyone else. Crackle is sending me a ration chart so when I get a chance I'll double check my teeth to be sure!

Now to work out what bike to get.

A virtual beer or two for you crackle!:biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
All this gear-inches nonsense doesn't address the real issue - how are you going to convince Mrs Maggers to give you two days 'off' to go bike hunting? This is where I may be of some assistance.......;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bollo said:
All this gear-inches nonsense doesn't address the real issue - how are you going to convince Mrs Maggers to give you two days 'off' to go bike hunting? This is where I may be of some assistance.......:smile:

Oh aye? How will you help with this? Would you be keeping her entertained?!:biggrin:

bonj2

magnatom said:
Yippee! :biggrin: Ta Crackle and everyone else. Crackle is sending me a ration chart so when I get a chance I'll double check my teeth to be sure!

Now to work out what bike to get.

A virtual beer or two for you crackle!:smile:
aye, wise. always ration the amount of haribos you eat to save your teeth.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
Oh aye? How will you help with this? Would you be keeping her entertained?!:ohmy:

I couldn't compete with you either in the looks or the charm department!:ohmy::biggrin:

I may know fik all about bikes, but I am a wise old border collie when it comes to wifely manipulation. This year I've even managed to wangle a week away on my own to do a ride in Sweden, a 'project' that even I couldn't believe I'd pulled off.

Some of my strategies

Begin discussing friends, acquaintances and relatives that are starting to show a bit around the middle. Contrast this with your (I assume) buff cycling physique but hint that age is catching up and its getting harder. You'd like to do a bit more to keep your fitness up. If you throw in a 'for the sake of the kids' it helps. Your current bike is ok, but for longer rides.......

With Mini-mags firmly in the saddle, hint at a future of happy family rides and parent-child bonding. Do this while watching one of those new 'healthy eating' ads for added impact.

Identify a nice restaurant/posh clothes shops near your target LBS. Suggest 'making a day of it'. This requires some budget, but you can offset this by.....

using Mrs Maggers as a foil during negotiations on price. Nothing makes a bike-shop sales person more nervous than a disinterested, impatient spouse hanging around.

I really am a foul, manipulative ba^&ard!:thumbsup::sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

:ohmy:

Does your wife ever come on this forum? I hope not! :ohmy:

Actually she is happy enough with me getting the bike on account of the family cycling thing. Oldest on his new bike and little un' on the child seat thingy. I'll probably take a day or so off work (as I have some spare holidays). That way I can take my time and it would be an enjoyable use of holidays anyway!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually, it's funny that you mention Mrs mag as a foil. We did that to hammer down the price of our car when we bought it last year. I went to the showroom and started haggling, and when I hit a barrier, I phoned my wife, who did the 'oh I don't think we can afford that' act. Worked a treat! :ohmy:

:biggrin:

I thought shall I.......but Bollo beat me to it.

So have you got a shortlist to go and visit Maggers? Let's start one

Specialized Tricross
Giant Defy
Specialized Allez (do they still do it or has that one changed too)
Cannondale

What about Thorn, Felt, on-one, checked their offerings? Planet-x, Kaffenback, etc.... List, make a list and publish it.

Also what's the bike got to have:-

Triple
105 groupset or mainly 105
Mudguards
Rack

Size/fitting

Compact or normal

;):?::?:

Some of those options will limit your choice, especially the mudguards and rack one.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Crackle said:
..What about Thorn...

I think their Audax Mk3 would be ideal for Magger's purposes and I'm generally a fan of Thorn (got two of the buggers). The only sticking point here might be price, as they don't come cheap (£899 for the Audax?)

Top Bottom