Bike purchase question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hoad yer horses big man! I'm lookin! ;)

On the net so far I've looked at the big names
Gian Defy (either the 2.5 or 2)
Trek, 1.5 (I think the 1.7 is out of my price range),
Spec Tricross sport
Cannondale synapse tiagra (mudguards?)

The allez doesn't take mudguards as far as I can see (a must if I am occasionally going to take it on a canal towpath, all be it with the family (so slow!). Of course there are race blades.......

I'm not too worried about a rack. Whilst the kids are young I can't see me going touring, and on my commute I am happy with a rucksack.

Haven't looked at the others yet, and £900 is a no, no, especially considering I'd need to get pedals, mudguards etc.

Mmmm more pondering.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Forgot to add the kaffenback as well. Apparently there is a cyclescheme dealer in Edinburgh.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

...cont

I don't know much about the groupsets on road bikes but I have a feeling that tiagra would probably be fine for my purposes. Is there much difference between the tiagra and the 105?

As for the gearing....mmmm. It would be nice to have a compact double, but I will need to have a ride of one to find out if I can cope with the increased gear spacing. I've got quite large and strong legs, but they just aren't bike fit. I'd be tempted to go for a double as I think I could grind a bit more than I do.

As for compact or normal geometry, I have no idea. Probably compact I guess as this would mean I would be more upright, is that right?

alp1950

Mags.
Get yerself down to Billy Bilsland's in the Saltmarket before you buy anything. They're in C2W. I did the rounds of all the shops a few months back & to be fair received pretty good advice in most. However Neil Bilsland stood out as being by far the best. He was able suss out my requirements accurately and I came away very happy with the bike he recommended (Kinesis Racelight TK). Basically I wanted a road bike, for commuting but with the option of being able to use it for training, club runs and even some entry level racing if I decided to go down that path. Great winter trainer as it has room for mudguards & panniers if you need them. Neil even was able to organise a demo for me & he offers free servicing. A superb LBS & one well worth cultivating a relationship with.
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=476196&highlight=racelight+tk#post476196

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Interesting alp. I'd seen their website but I was put off by the large number of raleigh bikes that they have on offer.

Are GT any good? I came across this which looks like good value for money. I assume this must be an 08 model.

I'll be sure and check him out.

magnatom said:
As for compact or normal geometry, I have no idea. Probably compact I guess as this would mean I would be more upright, is that right?

It could but it might not. Compacts have a shorter top tube so tend not to be as stretched but the use of compact frames varies, as does their setup but generally yes, unless, like me, you are a reverse ape, with short arms and legs.

Any bike has to fit and feel right, compact or not. Currently you are too upright, so any test ride might feel stretched. You need to pay attention to some basic sizing advice and trust to it because all road bike positions are probably going to feel odd, more odd or less odd. The trick is to ride a few, check some basic alignment on each and pick the one that is right and feels best without feeling too much like your old bike.

Basic alignment would be stuff like, can you see the front hub when sitting on the bike, it should be obscured. Where's the plumbline from your knee and if it's not right will the saddle adjust. If you put your elbow on the saddle, do your fingers touch the bars, that kind of stuff. Hopefully you'll get some other suggestions as well, I'm sure there's a few more.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
I'm not too worried about a rack. Whilst the kids are young I can't see me going touring, and on my commute I am happy with a rucksack.

Whoa there me young fella me chap! On a road bike you're going to be less upright in most positions. This means that a rucksack will tend to ride up your back and press on the nape of your neck or at least flop to one side in an awkward manner. Not very comfortable even after 2 or 3 miles. I also like to keep all my weight low down (right girls!:smile::smile:).

As long as you've got the lugs for a rack, then you can at least decide later.

picture.php

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bollo said:

LOL! Not quite bike buying lobes! Unless of course this relates to the shouting my wife will be doing when she sees the final bill (Audio stimulus if I am not mistaken!;))

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle,

Aye, I expect that it is going to feel strange. Although I have to admit that I have ridden a road bike before! OK it was Peugeot bike of some sort (pastle blue with gear levers below the top tube I think!), and I was about 12! I don't think my body will remember it though!

I'll certainly look up sizing info on the web (i.e plumbline etc) before I pop out to the shops. I think going mid week will be a good idea so it's a bit quieter and I can spend more time.

alp1950

magnatom said:
Interesting alp. I'd seen their website but I was put off by the large number of raleigh bikes that they have on offer.

Are GT any good? I came across this which looks like good value for money. I assume this must be an 08 model.

I'll be sure and check him out.

Don't be put off by the website. It isn't representative.

No idea about GT but Kinesis seem to get pretty good press all round. You might find a review online if you're lucky. Your £750 budget- is that including the C2W discount? If not & you can stretch to £950 that puts you into racelight territory but you might well find Neil could spec you a cheaper version.

Re. demo bikes in Glasgow. Difficult: Evans only let you take them out for 30 min or so. Not enough time esp. if you're not used to roadbikes. Alpine let you hire for a few days and the place near me (Solid Rock) have a demo bianchi. Dales don't demo. Again, if you're not used to roadbikes take your time as you'll learn to love them & never want to go back. Word of warning. I took out a high end Trek Madone & found it a bit too jittery at first not being used to such a responsive beast. So don't be put off if you don't click immediately.

Got a bit more to say. I'll PM you. Got to work now though.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks very much alp! I obviously want to get the right bike, so if I need to travel a bit to get a decent test then I'm willing. Any info you have would be great! Unfortunately £750 is the actual price I am looking to spend. Of course that might stretch a little but don't tell my wife (she is sitting next to me at the moment, so I am taking major risks typing this!)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

After a PM I've been convinced a visit to Billy Bilsland's is in order. Hmm. Now what am I doing next week...:sad:

Is this the same Billy Bisland who was a mentor to Robert Millar? If so, first, bow down, 2nd take a look on his wall, there should be the King Of The Mountains jersey won and worn by Millar up on his wall somewhere (actually I think his son runs it now eh)

Top Bottom