Bike purchase question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Trek 1.2 as a winter bike. Low end components, but my last bike with Sora never needed adjusting or touching over 10000+km. Takes rack and mudguards. I got a 2008 model in October for £400.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

jay clock said:
I have a Trek 1.2 as a winter bike. Low end components, but my last bike with Sora never needed adjusting or touching over 10000+km. Takes rack and mudguards. I got a 2008 model in October for £400.

Aye I could probably go for the 1.5. Just a thought though, I can't see any brake levers on the hoods. Do these bikes not have brakes here? I'd probably be using the hoods a fair amount.

Young Un

There are brake levers on the hoods:wacko:;)

On modern road bike the shifters double up as the brake levers aswell.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Young Un said:
There are brake levers on the hoods:wacko:;)

On modern road bike the shifters double up as the brake levers aswell.

I couldn't see them when I zoomed up on an image of the 1.5. Maybe I need an eye test!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually, can I check, the hoods are the flat part of the bars aren't they? Obviously I'm a newbie with road bikes! ;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
Actually, can I check, the hoods are the flat part of the bars aren't they? Obviously I'm a newbie with road bikes! :smile:

;):smile:

Don't let your 'chums' in commuting see this! The hoods are the rubbery bits of the brake lever. One riding position is to grip round or rest on these hoods.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My top tip would be take your time over setting the bike up, and learn to do the basic adjustments yourself (seatpost/saddle/handlebar angle, maybe how to flip a stem) You did go on the EBC maintenance course didn't you?;)

Most modern road frames can take quite a varied range of rider sizes, but your long term comfort will depend on how well it's set up to fit you and your style of riding. If the fit isn't right, you'll get uncomfortable a lot quicker on a road bike than a hybrid.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bollo,

Contary to popular belief I know I don't know everything, I just know that there is nothing that I don't know, I know nothing about, I think!:biggrin::biggrin:

I'd like to think I know a fair bit about riding on the road, just not much about road bikes!

So now I think I know what the hoods are. What I was tryng to say is I would like a bike that has brake levers that I can use when I'm holding on to the flat part of the bars. I know the tricross sport has these.

magnatom said:
Bollo,
What I was tryng to say is I would like a bike that has brake levers that I can use when I'm holding on to the flat part of the bars. I know the tricross sport has these.

Dump this idea now before it takes plant. You DO NOT want to use the safety levers as standard. Size your bike so you are riding comfortably with your hands on the hoods or drops. You will get far more effective braking off the hoods than off the safety levers, which for safety, should be ditched immediately before the wheel reflectors and freewheel disc. Riding on the flats is only done honking uphill or coasting along slowly on country lanes with the sun in your face and a pretty girl on your mind.

Seriously Maggers get out and ride some bikes and watch people who ride road bikes hhow they position themselves. Any bike which is only comfortable hands on flats is wrong for you.

Making the transition from hybrid to road you need to think about position and comfort carefully. This is why I suggested an Audax, though I'm struggling to find a good make in your price range which you'll get on the scheme. My personal belief is you'll find one where the bars are not so low compared to the seat i.e an inch or three lower and a slightly more relaxed geometry but still sharp to be just right. The Tricross could still fit the bill but your needs are screaming Audax at me: If I can just find one....

Gary D

magnatom said:
So now I think I know what the hoods are. What I was tryng to say is I would like a bike that has brake levers that I can use when I'm holding on to the flat part of the bars. I know the tricross sport has these.

I think you could fit these extra brake levers to most drop bar bikes as long as the centre of the bar was round. (However, I have them on my Tricross but have always had the niggling doubt that they contribute to a loss in braking efficiency.)

If you were buying a new bike I am sure the LBS would fit them as part of a deal. They are not that expensive.

Here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tektro_RL720_Series_Lever_Set/5360027557/

Gary.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Wow maggers, you'll be riding fixed next! According to Sheldon Brown, these are called 'interrupter brake levers' or alternatively 'cross levers'.

I've seen them on plenty of fixies but for geared bikes think I've only ever seen them fitted as standard on the Tri-cross, although I haven't really been taking much notice. Someone else on here might know of others.

I'd try riding with the standard aero-brakes levers for a while to see whether you still feel the need. You can always get them retro-fitted.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

OK crackle, I see what you are saying. I think I just always had the wrong idea when people talked about using the hoods!

Thanks for looking crackle! Don't go overboard though, as I really need to look for myeslf as well. I'm just in a bit of a catch 22, where time is short. Out of work I tend to spend most of my time with the family and don't have much time to go shopping. So it sounds like I need two days minimum to start looking for a bike, one to just get a feel and an idea, and one to test some of those ideas. I don't think I could stretch to much more time, as I'll probably need to take 2 days off work to look.

I just hate starting off from knowing very little!

Bollo, I'm not sure but I think Trek fit them to all their bikes, I've seen them on a few models anyway, Pilot included.

Maggers starting off not knowing is the fun bit. It's all a journey of surprises. Talking of Pilot's, they could be worth a look. The compact frame will give you a more upright position and they are very light and lively and I think will take mudguards and rack, at least worth a target test ride.

What size is your current bike and which gears do you use most on it?

kyuss

Veteran
Crackle said:
Dump this idea now before it takes plant. You DO NOT want to use the safety levers as standard.

Cross levers these days are nothing like as poor as they used to be. I have a Cane Creek one fitted as my main brake on the fixed bike and it's plenty powerful. In fact it's better than the aero levers it replaced.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thank C, I was sure there were others.

Mags - its pretty difficult to buy a genuinely bad bike these days for the money you've got, so don't paralyse yourself worrying that you've made a duff choice. The great thing about modern road bikes is that there's a lot of scope for tuning them to your riding style. Admittedly you might find yourself having to spend a few bob on upgrading some bits ;) but if you've made the correct basic choice of frame style and size (audax does sound a good idea) then even that probably won't be required. For your purposes, fixings for proper mudguards and a rack should be a given. Don't listen to that bonj fellow!

If time is a factor, it might be worth getting recommendations on here for LBSs that have a reputation for taking their time with the customer.

Top Bottom