Bike rack help..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kurt909

I drive a vw golf mk5.

Me and the girlfriend are wanting to venture out a tad. I am wondering what the majority of people use when taking their bikes out.
I wouldn't like the idea of a roof rack as I prefer to see where the bikes were, and I've used a universal rear rack before when I had a corsa, but it was a scary experience.

Would it be just as good to take the front wheels off and shove them inside with us?

Help!

Ian193

Über Member
We just take front wheels off and put them in the back of the car with the seats down there's more than enough room.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ditto, easily fit in mk 5 Golf, don't even need to take wheel off

Saris bones are popular however if wanting a rack. Or get from VW

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you have a tow bar, a rack that mounts to that is the way to go. Otherwise, just remove wheels and put them in the back of the car, use some old towels and stuff to prevent scratching.

Butty1972

We used a cheapo universal rack from halfords, worked fine, just stop after a mile to tighten everything up as it settles.. have done Preston - Newquay and back with 2 MTBs on twice... no problems, and countless trips to Cumbria... The only downside was it may start to mark your boot if you have a saloon, so wrap that section in something (mother in law's best teatowel worked well).

Lincov

I'm delighted with my rear-mounted saris bones, holds 3 bikes very comfortably. Only problem is you can't get into the boot when it's fitted.

Top Bottom