Bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

b0redom

Hi All,
So I've got a Passat estate, with roof rails already. My new bike will just about fit in the boot with the seats down, but we have a baby seat on one side.

What's the best option? I've been looking at one of the Thule roof mounted ones, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the bike on and off. What does the panel use?

Cheers...

b0redom

Marin Maniac

b0redom said:
Hi All,
So I've got a Passat estate, with roof rails already. My new bike will just about fit in the boot with the seats down, but we have a baby seat on one side.​

What's the best option? I've been looking at one of the Thule roof mounted ones, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the bike on and off. What does the panel use?​

Cheers...​

b0redom​

I've just bought the Thule 591 with the Aero bars and can't fault it.

Mike Rudkin

Dunno what model it is-but I have a Thule tow hitch mounted rack that takes 2 bikes and tilts so you can open boot.You only have to lift bikes about 15" so that's easy. I can park car and be on bike in about 2 mins,same when it's time to move on.Have travelled on 'payage' and m/ways at over 100mph with no probs.

wafflycat

Towbar-mounted bike carrier here. TradeKar Silverbike II with third bike adapter. Has tilt function so I can access boot with bikes on carrier on car. Easy to use.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
While I agree the tow bar mounted carriers are the best give some thought to how much you want to spend and the frequency of use. When the kids were young and we were moving several bikes around we had a tow bar mounted Pendle Bike Rack (highly recommended). Now I just have a £30 thing from Halfords which hangs off the tailgate. For one bike it's very adequate and cost effective.

Only put the bike on the roof if you are:

1. Tall enough to do so
2. Strong enough to lift it unaided to near head height
3. Able to steady it with one hand while securing it with the other
4. Want to get covered in crap every time you do it!

Marin Maniac

At motorway speed it is fine. There seems to be a certain amount of movement in the wind but I think that is intentional.

Once you lift the bike onto the roof, you can let go as the rack supports the bike while you secure it. Its very easy to get the bike in and out of the rack.

After travelling 200 or so motorway miles with the bike on the roof i can safely say that it has not attracted the usual motorway roadkill e.g. Bugs/flies etc.

Top Bottom