Bike recommendations for 20 mile a day commute please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alvintc

Veteran
Time to replace my Halfrauds Carrera TDF...
Requirements:
  • I'm 110kg (but falling, slowly) 176cm tall
  • 20 miles a day (10 each way)
    • Couple of hills, but nothing extreme
  • Will be locked up in train station car park – so would prefer something slightly inconspicuous
  • Would like be able to fit mudguards (I currently have the plastic road bike ones on my current)
  • Would like internal cables
  • Needs to fit my Carradice SQR – so round seat post
Budget c£1500 (a little leeway but I also need to get new shoes/ peddles on top so can't go much over)
I’ve no idea what info from me helps, but please ask away!

I also need shoe/ peddle recommendations as I’ve ruined my current cleats/ shoes (SPD-SL’s) in the short walk from the train to the office (the building connects but it’s still enough to wreck cleats!)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll want to spend £100-150 of that budget on beefy locks if leaving at a station

If you want proper mudguards, something like an Audax or tourer will suit, or something like the Ribble winter bike. Otherwise a CX type bike like the Genesis Croix de fer

<snip>
  • Will be locked up in train station car park – so would prefer something slightly inconspicuous
  • Would like be able to fit mudguards (I currently have the plastic road bike ones on my current)
  • Would like internal cables
  • Needs to fit my Carradice SQR – so round seat post
Budget c£1500 (a little leeway but I also need to get new shoes/ peddles on top so can't go much over)
I’ve no idea what info from me helps, but please ask away!

I also need shoe/ peddle recommendations as I’ve ruined my current cleats/ shoes (SPD’s) in the short walk from the train to the office (the building connects but it’s still enough to wreck cleats!)

Can I suggest 2 bikes then? One cheap and cheerful (something like a decathlon Triban 300) and suitable to being left behind and you won't get too upset if it gets stolen or damaged and something for best/better which you don't leave at the railway station car park...

michaelcycle

I wouldn't spend £1500 to leave at a station but thats probably just me. If the Carrera has served you well, I look at getting another one or maybe a Triban and buy another bike for weekends. Edit: Cross posted with SNSSO

A lot of training bikes (Ribble, Kinesis) fit budget though and can easily take guards.

All of that. A £1.5k bike will either get nicked or stripped faster than a groupie at an after party...

If you want a half way house then this ticks a lot of the boxes as well:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFF2TIA/planet-x-kaffenback-2-shimano-tiagra-road-bike

Get some mudguards and a rack fitted at the same time and you're set.

tadpole

for the past year and a bit I've done 21 miles a day on my Ridgeback velocity, 4850 miles later never had a problem, and that would leave you £1150 for some locks, and maybe a couple of spare bikes to ride on the weekend.

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
Understand about the station issues... however it's on a raised rack and there's reasonable security at the station. There's also a chance (if I'm really bloody lucky!) that my commute may change (extend slightly) and I'll have access to a pod.

That being said, it'll be insured etc. so I'm not overly concerned.
Not keen on the 2 bike option - agreeing the budget with SWMBO means that I have to sell my brompton (relegated now I have a longer commute) and my TDF as it is. I suspect "I'm selling 2 to buy 2" may not work, and I want a nicer bike to do the commute on.

Also just noticed that I'd put SPD's... meant to say SL's but I want to swap to SPDs cos of the walk :biggrin:

Many thanks for the suggestions so far!

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
I did that for a few months... my commute evolution went:
1 mile - train - 1.5 mile, then reverse (5 mile a day, brommie)
1 mile - train - 3.5 mile, then reverse (9 mile a day, brommie)
10 mile - train - 0 mile, then reverse (20 mile a day, TDF)

I like my new commute as there's no faffing about with the trains and if I'm ever feeling energetic I can extend the return cycle without hassle (not something I could do with the brommie). But now I want something nicer to do the longer ride on...while not a particularly long ride, 5 days a week mounts up to time on the bike.

I colleague left his well locked up bike at Cambridge Station daily for several months. One day it wasn't there. I asked him what it was worth - he'd paid £20 for it about £20 years ago, second hand.

A nice bike that is regularly locked in the same place will get targeted.

That being said, I'd look at the giant defy range. I'm very happy with my Avail (ladies model) and have an SQR mount for barley, and SQR slim bag. That being said, there's only just enough clearance over mudguards to get the slim bag on. You'll need a nice compact frame to be able to fit you bag.

(Image with barley attached)
dsc_0001_2-jpg.11404.jpg

Edit: I don't think Giant do internal cables.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's not just the fact that it'll get nicked but people who leave good bikes at stations just perpetuates the opportunity available to the thieves.
Get an serviceable but tatty beater bike.

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
Many thanks for the suggestions so far.

For the people that keep repeating the theft risk and 2nd bikes, many thanks but as above those are not items I am looking to follow with. The theft risk I accept, the additional bike will never get used (I have a young family which means my cycling time is restricted to my commute + any extensions, time out at the weekend won't happen for a while!).

and as for
It will get nicked.

What part of that cant you understand? Insured or not you are setting yourself up for a fall.

Well that just comes across as rude, as you can see by my previous I understand completely it appears to be you that can't understand I accept this risk.

Top Bottom