Bike recommendations for 20 mile a day commute please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
Mmm. I wonder if you really do know the risk you are accepting. There are known knowns and then there are known unknowns and then there are unknown unknowns and there are risks and then there are certainties and then there are £1500 bike left at station every day will get stripped or knicked eventually certainties :stop:

mattobrien

Guru
They have recently changed the cycle storage facility at my local station (Ipswich). It is now accessed after you have gone through the ticket barriers and it is fenced and gated. The storage is accessed via fob and bikes are stored on two levels on slidey rack things. It may also be covered by CCTV, but I haven't had a good look.

From the odd time I have had a look, I have seen some quite reasonable bikes there. I suspect they have tried to significantly mitigate the risk of theft by adding these measures. Perhaps the OP has similar arrangements at his station.

Personally I would still only take my pub bike there, but it is only two miles, so not an issue to go on the least good bike for me.

As for possible bike suggestions, I have a kinesis Pro6 as my commuter bike. It is a cross bike, but for me, in road guise, with road gearing and narrow tyres. The frame lists for c. £550, but can be had cheaper and I believe kinesis do a kit that basically has all the other components needed to turn it from a frame to a full bicycle and that would all be within budget. It has eyelets for guards and a rack, which are both currently installed on mine.

Frame: http://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-crosslight-pro6-frameset-65505.html

Build kit: http://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-groupsets/kinesis-crosslight-disc-build-kit/10787991.html

Frame £460, build kit £700, total £1,160, so under budget and room for upgrades of required. Mine was a bit of a Frankenstein from my old bike and is equipped with 105 gruppo and hand built wheels.

Seeing as it is heavy rain here this morning I will be taking this for a spin rather than the mud guardless summer bike.

Last edited:

evo456

Über Member
Saracen Hack 2, fits most of the bill. As for accepting the risk, you can mitigate component stripping by using security bolts for wheels and saddle

doog

Many thanks for the suggestions so far.

Well that just comes across as rude, as you can see by my previous I understand completely it appears to be you that can't understand I accept this risk.

Sorry if I came across as rude but I read 5 responses to your original question, all stating the obvious yet you still posted this in response.
Understand about the station issues... however it's on a raised rack and there's reasonable security at the station.

That being said, it'll be insured etc. so I'm not overly concerned.
!

Best of luck in whatever you do and one less bike theft statistic.

Go to the station and see how many £1500 bikes are left there daily. If there are several you might be OK but if there aren't any ask yourself why :thumbsup:
This is true, at my station (main London line) I always take time to have a quick look (as I'm walking by) at what kind of bikes people ride to work on and all of them are tatty old heavy cheap MTB mostly, no offence to anyone but it looks like most people just use the old work horse for the station and keep a regular training bike at home, you can guarantee anything remotely nice will get nicked, smashed up or just abused regardless of the parking / security.

Bodhbh

Guru
Hrmm only got diverted here on a link from my sidewall patch thread.

I wouldn't bother. Apart from outright thieves, other cyclists - yes, shocking - will strip what they like the look of. Couple of allen keys and bye bye groupset...

400bhp

Guru
That being said, it'll be insured etc. so I'm not overly concerned.

Think about the excess, the knock on effect on future premiums and the limit to the number of claims an insurer may place on bikes each year.

Still not overly concerned?

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
Many thanks for the replies... (even the one's doggedly ignoring my stance, I think!).

Special thanks to jefmcg, test rode a defy and decided it just worked for me. So I compromised on the carbon and internal cables, but otherwise feels just the ticket!

Keith Oates

Janner
I colleague left his well locked up bike at Cambridge Station daily for several months. One day it wasn't there. I asked him what it was worth - he'd paid £20 for it about £20 years ago, second hand.

A nice bike that is regularly locked in the same place will get targeted.

That being said, I'd look at the giant defy range. I'm very happy with my Avail (ladies model) and have an SQR mount for barley, and SQR slim bag. That being said, there's only just enough clearance over mudguards to get the slim bag on. You'll need a nice compact frame to be able to fit you bag.

(Image with barley attached)
dsc_0001_2-jpg.11404.jpg

Edit: I don't think Giant do internal cables.
Giant definitely do internal cables and I have two bikes that are fitted in this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Nick

I also reckon the bike will get nicked and saying its insured won't make up for the hassle when it is

Most bike stands are full of rat bikes that most thieves wouldn't look twice at especially if secured with a heavy duty lock

The idea above of a cheap(er) commuter and the rest of the budget on a decent bike for leisure use is sound advice, the wise move is to follow it

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
I was about to suggest something like a secondhand aluminium Trek SL1200, but just noticed that I'm about 16 months too late! :ohmy:

He's come back here to gently gloat that we were all wrong and his bicycle has been safe. I for one have never been happier to be wrong :smile: and I'm also glad my suggestion was useful.

I'd love to know what station it is,but we don't want anyone going there to steal a well maintained Giant Defy

What is the most amount of money you think is reasonable to spend on a bike locked up at a station, outside of work etc?

What is the most amount of money you think is reasonable to spend on a bike locked up at a station, outside of work etc?
I'd be reluctant to leave a bike I cared about in a station car park. And, like the OP, reluctant to put in many miles in a bike I didn't car about. So it's a puzzler. My colleague - mentioned above - lost a bike that was effectively of no value, but he was done with leaving a bike locked up to be stolen. He would rather spend ~£1000 on a Brompton than buy another old beater to be taken from him.

Me, if I don't like the parking situation, I'll take my folder and bring it with me on the train. If I feel pretty confidant it will be there when I get back, then somewhere under £1000. Every day, anywhere in Greater London? No value. I just wouldn't do it.

Top Bottom