Bike Register anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes.

Slick

Guru
I haven't even thought about it until very recently. I bought what I consider to be a reasonably expensive bike on line and the only proof of ownership is a text part payment receipt as I paid with ctw voucher. I see you can download a log book.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, police marked a couple of my bikes last year FOC. Met do it weekly or fortnightly around my borough

Bike stolen was marked, never seen again but the sticker might be a deterrent and plenty of bikes do get recovered

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Search for "Burglar's shopping list" for what happened to the similar police-supported immobilise. There's no reason bikeregister is any better IMO. Keep details and photos but the only upgrade worth a damn is a full mobile network tracker.

Crankarm

Guru
Nope. The fewer people that know the better. As above if you are really paranoid then fit a proper tracker otherwise don't skimp on good locks. Take detailed pictures of your bike including frame number and any distinguishing features or marks.

OP
OP
BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Yes, but the etched number is permanent unless it is ground off/ buffed off and repainted. Bound to be a deterrent. However, with MTB and road, in my case, they're either under my butt or being transported and not used for commuting. I guess commuters who have to lock up daily are in a slightly different situation.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, but the etched number is permanent unless it is ground off/ buffed off and repainted. Bound to be a deterrent. However, with MTB and road, in my case, they're either under my butt or being transported and not used for commuting. I guess commuters who have to lock up daily are in a slightly different situation.
If you want a real deterrent, paint your bikes in pink. Apparently most bikes are stolen by young macho men :rolleyes: who would target any other colour. This from a conversation with a lady I see around locally with a very nice pink roadbike whose families bikes were all nicked and hers not

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, but the etched number is permanent unless it is ground off/ buffed off and repainted. Bound to be a deterrent.
If that were true, why wouldn't frame numbers already have eradicated theft?

If you want a real deterrent, paint your bikes in pink. Apparently most bikes are stolen by young macho men :rolleyes: who would target any other colour. This from a conversation with a lady I see around locally with a very nice pink roadbike whose families bikes were all nicked and hers not
Cambridge thieves will steal anything. I've called the cops (and had them show up) on a group of young men wheeling a wrong-size very pink roadster away from a cycle park towards a car park (where a van could easily be waiting). Maybe they were walking a relative's bike home after a mechanical but I think most people around here ghost or carry bikes in such situations, rather than walk them.

ozboz

Guru
I had my Surly reg by the Cops , it was nicked , the registration did not help get I back , but when it was found the markings stopped any arguments , but the little sticker that was on the down tube had been removed,

vickster

Legendary Member
If that were true, why wouldn't frame numbers already have eradicated theft?

Cambridge thieves will steal anything. I've called the cops (and had them show up) on a group of young men wheeling a wrong-size very pink roadster away from a cycle park towards a car park (where a van could easily be waiting). Maybe they were walking a relative's bike home after a mechanical but I think most people around here ghost or carry bikes in such situations, rather than walk them.
OP doesn’t live in Cambridge

Sixmile

Veteran
I got two bikes marked and registered at an event in Belfast last Autumn. The peelers took all our details, saying that an email would be sent to confirm registration. Alas, no email ever arrived so I'm not sure if my bikes are actually registered.

Top Bottom