Bike Register anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I'm not disparaging but I like to think I'm careful. I only joined Facebook last year, as I moved to a new area and all the neighbours wanted me to join the village group. I deleted my account a week before the Cambridge Analytica scandal broke. I do use other sites like Strava so I may have a look to see exactly what details sites like that hold about me. My brother for instance, uses a ridiculous name on Strava for a couple of different reasons. I think @mjr has brought up some good points about keeping your details safe and some interesting alternative views on what on the face of things is a good idea. Use it, don't use it, it's up to you, but as a few others have already noted, there are alternatives and it just takes a bit more effort from you.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Make sure you never start / stop strava until you are half a mile from your house. You can edit start and finish point before you share ;)

D

Deleted member 23692

When I got my bike nicked, the local coppers (Notts Constabulary) hadn't heard of bike register, and when they tried to register they were blocked form doing so by their IT system.

Nevertheless, I've got all my present 4 bikes registered on there... along with the nicked one

adamhearn

Veteran
I'm not sure I see the point of the register. It would seem that recovery of said bikes is more down to luck rather than a database of numbers (i.e. a bike has to be found in circumstances where it's suspected of being stolen in order for the number to be checked).

Get insurance and move on if it does sadly happen.

classic33

Leg End Member
I feel it's daft to give your personal details and your bikes' details away so cheaply for pretty much no benefit.

Why's Bike Register a reputable site? There appears to be little to distinguish it from various other competitors, including previous police-backed favourite Immobilise which failed to keep their site secure.

Receipts are gold - no problem with that - but a Bike Register log book is basically marketing pap. Also, aren't you encouraging the new owner to give their personal info to Selectamark Security Systems plc? I can't see any instructions on how to delete a registration from their database - I wonder if that will change come May.

I'd bet I could register a stolen bike on a credible-looking site and you pretty much can't register it on all of them. If you did, it could become an onerous amount of work every time you move home or buy or sell a bike.
Why would you have a bike you knew to be stolen?

The question relates to your claim of you being able to register one.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not sure I see the point of the register. It would seem that recovery of said bikes is more down to luck rather than a database of numbers (i.e. a bike has to be found in circumstances where it's suspected of being stolen in order for the number to be checked).

Get insurance and move on if it does sadly happen.
Which is there in the hope you never have to use it. Also giving details to another party.

Top Bottom